Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Disston Tenon Saw refurbish

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Disston Tenon Saw refurbish

I'm a big fan of older tools, with a bit of effort they can last a lifetime. I often pick-up pre-loved tools that are being thrown by the way-side, in this case a Disston Tenon Saw on Council clean-up.

If it was anymore rusted I would have left it where it was, but from a quick look I thought I could save it.

The products I used were-

Wet/Dry Sand paper from 180 up to 1200 grit, 

Metal Polish

Ryobi 18v Random Orbital Sander 

Diablo Sanding pads 

Ryobi 18v Drill Driver 

Feast-Watson walnut stain 

Scandinavian oil

After the cosmetics were done a reset of the teeth was needed as it originally had a slight set.

Interesting skill to learn as I didn't have a tooth set tool. I followed this tutorial and used a hammer and punch, seemed to work just fine stopping the binding.1.jpgFound this old saw on the Kerb-side pickup. As i'm a trash panda I decided to take it home.Found this old saw on the Kerb-side pickup. As i'm a trash panda I decided to take it home.Seemed on the boarder line of being able to save it, decent surface rust but no flaking rust.Seemed on the boarder line of being able to save it, decent surface rust but no flaking rust.Blade is not great in some areas, but decided to attempt to at least bring it back into service.Blade is not great in some areas, but decided to attempt to at least bring it back into service.Disassembled to take a better look and make sure all the rust is gone.Disassembled to take a better look and make sure all the rust is gone.Used my Ryobi Random Orbital sander to take the majority of the rust off.Used my Ryobi Random Orbital sander to take the majority of the rust off.Things are looking better here, but I'm not a great fan of the tarnish the rust has left behind.Things are looking better here, but I'm not a great fan of the tarnish the rust has left behind.Took a break from the blade and hit the fixings with some 240 grit wet/dry sand paperTook a break from the blade and hit the fixings with some 240 grit wet/dry sand paperFortunately my camera for some reason, didn't capture me applying a stain varnish, which dried not to my liking. It also showed I needed to sand with a finer grit as I could still see some sanding marks.  Sanded back the handle again, which came up nicely.Fortunately my camera for some reason, didn't capture me applying a stain varnish, which dried not to my liking. It also showed I needed to sand with a finer grit as I could still see some sanding marks. Sanded back the handle again, which came up nicely.Didn't want to re-coat with a varnish again, so went with a Feast Watson stain (Oak) then buffed in some Scandinavian oil. I'm very happy with how it turned out, exactly what I was going for.Didn't want to re-coat with a varnish again, so went with a Feast Watson stain (Oak) then buffed in some Scandinavian oil. I'm very happy with how it turned out, exactly what I was going for.Handle fittedHandle fittedAfter a decent effort with wet and dry sand paper the a metal polish the blade came up fairly nicely. Some imperfections still but they are just too deep to worry about, I did not want to compromise the integrity of the blade over having a mirror finish.After a decent effort with wet and dry sand paper the a metal polish the blade came up fairly nicely. Some imperfections still but they are just too deep to worry about, I did not want to compromise the integrity of the blade over having a mirror finish.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

missunderwood
Getting Established

Re: Disston Tenon Saw Refurbish

Beautiful job MitchellM!

Re: Disston Tenon Saw Refurbish

@missunderwood Thankyou, came out better than I expected! Was good to learn a couple of new skills also, as I have never had to sharpen or set teeth on a saw before. Not sure if I'll ever have to do it again though.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects