Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Many Bunnings stores offer a timber cutting service to help you get your wood home and get started on your project.

Here are some frequently asked questions about our timber cutting service to help Bunnings Workshop members. 

What type of cuts can be done at a Bunnings store?

Bunnings stores typically have two types of saws for timber cutting.  

• Panel saw – used to cut large sheet materials into smaller rectangular sections and pieces. The machine is capable of both horizontal and vertical cuts on most of our board products. Some examples of products that can be cut using a panel saw include MelaminePlywood and MDF.   

Does this service have a cost? 

Bunnings stores may charge a small fee for timber cutting. The price is:

• Timber docking - First two cuts are free, and 50 cents per additional cut

• Panels and sheeting - First cut is free and $1 per additional cut.

Is this service available at my local Bunnings?

You can check whether the timber cutting service is available at a nearby store by visiting the Bunnings website. Here’s how:  

• Mobile device - Select your nearest store and then click on your store's name on the top left of the screen. This will take you to your store's information page, including details about what services they offer

• Desktop computer - Type the nearest store's name in the change store drop-down and then click on store details. This will take you to your store's information page, including details on what services they offer.

Can I bring my own piece of timber to be cut?

Due to the many variables associated with timber products, we can only cut products purchased from our stores.

When is the best time to visit a store for timber cutting?

Visiting at a quieter time will ensure faster service. It's best to avoid weekends and public holidays as many other D.I.Y. enthusiasts will also be looking to build their own projects.

What if I want to do the cutting at home?

Knowing what saw to use and how to use it is the key to success. Here are some useful guides to get you started: 

What if I can't get my timber home? 

We offer a number of options to get your products home safely. You can use our free courtesy trailer for up to two hours. If you need more time you can also hire a trailer, a ute or a van to suit your needs. We also offer a comprehensive delivery service to assist you in getting your purchases home. Most stores offer same day or next day service. Please contact your nearest store for details.

Please feel free to let me know if you have further questions about our helpful timber cutting service.

Mitchell

Timber (002).jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Timber cutting service

Hi Eric

The store I went to was Munno Para in South Australia which is my regular store. I had purchased 3 x 2400 x 1200 VJ board and required them to be cut lengthways roughly in half. Luckily I went there in my van so transport wasn’t an issue ( would have normally gone in my car which would have taken the cut sizes easily ). I got home and had to cut the pieces myself and was surprised at the ease that my saw went through the board almost like butter so all was good. Just surprised at the non service provided at Munno Para and was told it’s a policy issue due to safety.

Regards

Barry

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber cutting service

Hello @BarryMull 

Thank you very much for the extra details of where you purchased the panels. I'm so sorry you didn't get your panels cut at the store. The team member should have explained further why your panels were not allowed to be cut at the shop saw aside from saying that it was a policy. The rule is that any panel with a plastic insert in them is not allowed to be cut on the shop saws.

As you know the EasyVJ boards come with a plastic insert in them, these inserts can get caught up on the large industrial blade of the shop saw and turn that plastic strip into a dangerous whip. Thus any panel with a plastic strip in them is not allowed to be cut on the shop saw for safety reasons. I apologise if this has caused you any inconvenience.

Thank you so much for your continued understanding.

Eric

ChadT
Just Starting Out

Re: Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Hi,

Can you cut down Formply sheets? I need to somehow get them home in my car. (Specifically from Nerang QLD if that makes a difference)

Looking for this to be a top of my workbench:

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 7.17.37 pm.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Hello @ChadT

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

What a fantastic render of your workbench, the store should be able to cut the formply for you. Please keep in mind to add allowances so that you can do your final cut with room to spare. That looks like an amazing project, any updates you can provide while putting it together would be very much appreciated. I'm sure our members would be keen to see it once it's fully assembled.

Eric

MarleyJ_Aus
Getting Established

Re: Does Bunnings cut timber to size?

Hi

I need Mdf cut to certain sizes for battens for wall design but my store doesn’t offer this? But I know interstate Bunnings stores do, how do I find one in Perth that can do this too please? 
thank you 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Does Bunnings cut timber to size?

Hi @MarleyJ_Aus,

Could you please provide more details on your request so we can better understand what you'd like cut in-store? I assume you'd like an MDF panel cut down into thin timber strips for use as battens. Would that be correct? What size battens do you need, and what size MDF panel do you need them cut from?

If you need, say, a 2400 x 1200mm 12mm MDF Panel Standard cut down into twenty 60 x 2400mm strips, then that's not something we would be able to do for you in-store. There are several issues with cutting thin strips from a large board, including operator safety, minimum cut limitations and accuracy of cuts. What I would suggest you do is take a look at our range of DAR Primed Mouldings. There are a number of different sizes available, and perhaps you could use something like Hume 42 x 12mm 5.4m DAR White MDF Primed or Hume 67 x 12mm 5.4m DAR White MDF Primed for your battens.

I look forward to hearing more about your request and assisting with your project.

Mitchell

KateOwenell
Just Starting Out

Help needed to cut Acacia panel

Can bunnings cut down the 2200 x 600 x 26mm Acacia Solid Oiled Hardwood Project Panel to 1800 x 400 x 26

Re: cut panel length and width

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @KateOwenell. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about our timber cutting service.

Due to the finger-jointed construction and thickness of the project panel, we cannot cut them in-store. 

Here are a few guides which you should find helpful:

The last guide is for a bamboo benchtop, but the process will be similar. It's always best to tape the location you are cutting through to avoid splinter tearout, set your saw blade so the teeth only just penetrate out the bottom side of the panel, cut slowly and use a saw blade with as many teeth as possible.

Please let us know if you'd like further assistance with cutting this panel down at home.

Mitchell

sharonelvaretta
Just Starting Out

Does Bunnings cut 3mm MDF board to size

Hi, I want to cut 3mm thick MDF board to the size of 500 x 800 mm and 420 x 594 mm. Does Bunnings offer an in-store service that could cut the MDF board to the size I need? Thank you.

Re: Does Bunnings cut 3mm MDF board to size

Hello @sharonelvaretta

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about cutting 3mm MDF.

The store uses large industrial saws to cut timber and it is possible to cut the 3mm MDF, but it leaves a very rough edge and because of its large blades, it will easily tear through the 3mm MDF board. Cutting it down for transport is possible, but if you need the board to be cut cleanly and with precision, I suggest using a handheld circular saw so that the panel does not get damaged. 

Here are some handy guides which should be helpful:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects