Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Drill for Self Drilling Screws

Lawzy
Cultivating a Following

Drill for Self Drilling Screws

I am planning to line a Colorbond shed, screwing 12mm plywood to the galvanised C section girts. I’ll likely use 40mm self drilling, counter sunk screws with a phillips head. I’m unsure which is the best drill for the job, a hammer drill or a drill with a clutch. I have a couple hundred screws to fix. I’d appreciate thoughts on drill type selection. Thanks. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Drill for Self Drilling Screws

Hi @Lawzy,

You can use a standard drill driver for this job. However, you might like to grab an Ozito 280W 10mm Drill Driver as it functions similarly but with more power. This would allow you to drive the screws faster. You wouldn't use a hammer drill as that's got a percussion function for masonry, but you could use an impact driver with a rotational impact force. An impact driver has more torque than a drill driver and typically will have a higher RPM.

If you need an excuse to purchase an impact driver, then I'd say this is the opportunity for it. Though, you can get by with a drill driver.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Lawzy 

I have used ozito tools and  for the price they do some very very good work for there price. The  drill @MitchellMc  is good  for general  drilling and screwing but the trick to using a standard driver is to put solid  pressure behind the drill so the tip remains turning the screw. Less pressure will see the tip start slipping and burring the screw and the driver tip. So this  can  be taxing on you and the screw driver tip.

I use drills all the time so it is worth  for me personally  buying higher grade tools you know what your  needs are the best so take that into consideration as to following my offered advice

cordless 18v  "Impact drill" as it will  hang onto those screws and driver  them in with the least amount of effort for the  users.

Also buy a  quality magnetised screw driver tips  suited the fastners you are using as you spending half the time picking up loose screws off the ground. Cheap driver tips self  destruct  quickly avoid.

I personally would look at buying The following Bosch  combo kit from bunnings I using them  today as it has 2 batteries a quick charger two drills the impact driver you need and a hammer drill for masionary or general work  around the house.  I work my drills hard and these stand a good  deal of solid work and a very powerfull and will wrench out your hand if you dont have a firm grip in some  work situations. The only bug bear is the 18v batteries need charging after 1 hours solid work so  bring the second battery to work site and  the charger so you can keep working. The impact driver only  uses the standard hex driver tip inserts..  The  drill has a  keyless chuck for drill bits etc.

You can spend $500 plus on bosch pro range but  for the extra $ I dont  think is worth it.

Re your  shed  job why dont you also  consider installing foam 10mm insulation behind the ply if you might like a cooler/warmer shed.  I buy it cheaply on ebay.  You  know what you need the  best.

Good luck have fun.

Bosch Blue 18V 2 Piece Combo Kit with 2 x 4.0AH Li-ION Batteries 0615990M1E

I/N: 0201018  $359  
  • Versatile: Impact Driver & Hammer Drill Combo
  • Compatible: All batteries can be used for both new and existing tools in the same voltage class – thanks to the Flexible Power System
  • High-performance: Cordless freedom with corded performance – thanks to powerful tools, long-lasting batteries and innovative charging solutions perfectly adapted to each other.
This Bosch Blue Kit Includes:
1 x GSB 18V-21 Impact Drill
1 x GDR 18V-160 1/4" Hex Impact Driver
1 x GAL 18V-40 Fast Charger
2 x GBA 18V 4.0AH Li-ION Batteries
1 x Cordless Tool Bag

The GSB 18V-21 Impact Drill is an entry level drill driver with professional performance. Features 55Nm of torque, a full metal gearbox, electronic cell protection and a 13mm keyless chuck.
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi again @Lawzy,

I thought I'd throw together a little video showing the difference in driving speed between a drill driver and an impact driver. The difference is quite remarkable, with the impact drill working at twice the speed. To keep the comparison fair, the impact driver is set at max speed, and the drill driver is placed in drill mode at high speed. The video starts at the precise moment both motors engage.

Pretty cool to see the difference, hey!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Lawzy
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mitchell the impact driver it is then. 

Lawzy
Cultivating a Following

@Jewelleryrescue Thanks for the guide and the recommendation. 

Great   video @MitchellMc  clear to see the impact drill is the winner to the new viewers of that video the faster use of impact driver is impressive and true.  But theres more to it you cant see going on I know many have also experianced.

@Lawzy I thin you made  right choice ie impact  drill for so many screws. Enjoy your project.

Notice in the video how the  drill user has to struggle to maintain control for a longer time? and that video is taken in a good drilling position now think about drilling over head or down low. Or imagine screwing with the drill out at arms reach its soo hard to get and maintain that drilling pressure and steadyness to start the screw in the first place.   The  more you work, the more fatigued you will get the harded it is to get those screws in straight and undamaged first time. A regular drill driver can do the job it is just so much harder and more experiance comes into play.

(one Screwing tip: if you have a hard screwing location pre drill a smaller hole than the screw dia this will help you greatly to start the screw and keep it straight going in. If the screw goes  crooked it wont screw any more as the  screw and the driver tip no longer aligned try reversing screw and going again)

I was using a standard drill/ screw driver  for about 200 years and one day I used an impact driver on a job for using screws and it was so much  physically easier especially on odd angles like inside cupboards with a smaller body to the  impact drill also was highly benifical. I learnt some thing new and important  that day.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects