Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dust Extraction using PVC DP - Grounding required or Not

markmarshall
Getting Established

Dust Extraction using PVC DP - Grounding required or Not

Hi All,

My current dust collector (DC) setup is flexible 100mm hose from DC to the tool be it table saw, jointer, thicknesser etc.

I am considering to run 100 PVC DP around the garage and drop points to every tool.

Any suggestions, has any one done this in their workshop, do you have to ground to the earth?

Or, would just copper grounding wire kit that one can get on Amazon be sufficient by wrapping the wire around with DP .

Regards.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Dust Extraction using PVC DP - Grounding required or Not

People will argue that you need 150mm ducting for the fine dust and an extractor capable of running it. Not many machines are set up with the ports either so they need to be modified as well.

In an ideal world you would avoid t-pieces and elbows as they restrict the flow, the real world you try to minimise the number you have and 45 deg take off tees do less damage than 90 deg ones.

Dave of blue t-shirt fame has done a video on installing earth wire and how his system is grounded.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @markmarshall,

Thanks for joining in the discussion on Workshop. Great to see you make your first post and get a prompt reply from Brad. Hope it proves helpful to you. We have a wonderful community here sharing helpful ideas and inspiring projects on the site everyday so we're sure you'll fit right in. 

What kinds of things have you created in the garage? Sounds like you have a great setup. We're looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans. 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
markmarshall
Getting Established

Thanks Brand 👍🏻

I did come across Dave Stanton video and in fact my question  “if ground to the earth” was a necessity was based on that. 
Also seen what Wayne did (in this forum) which I think does not require grounding... that kit alone is $400 bucks.

Thanks Jason😊

I second that - Great Community with valuable advice from members like Brad

My most recent project was a Coffee Table .

73CA42A4-75E1-43F3-B5DF-FE8B907C39C6.jpeg

In my case the grounding rod is not near any of my sheds so I would go to the carport post as I think we over engineered them into the ground. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MikeTNZ,

Have you got any expertise that you could share with @markmarshall on this topic?

Many thanks, hope you are staying well.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi there @markmarshall,

I would have thought that "swept Y" sections pointing towards the dust extraction unit would be more effective, as opposed to using a tee, which would cause a lack of turbulence on the ley side of the tee and encourage build-up of dust inside the ducting?

Brad has the right idea though, I think you would be better off to use 150mm ducting, for some strange reason, 100mm just sounds too small, depending on how many actual tools were using the extraction system.

With respect to "grounding", this is for dissipation of static electricity, I take it?

Personally if this were me, I hate static shocks, what you could do, is get some bare, stranded copper wire from an electrical suppliers, get clamps to fit over the pipework and run that wire down the extraction line and then connect it to a short earth stake (electrode) into the ground outside your workshop (obviously taking care not to hit any pipes or cables).

Do not at all use your mains earth electrode, for various reasons.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects