Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Epoxy on newly built house garage

an_kv
Growing in Experience

Epoxy on newly built house garage

Hi members,

Am a newbie here. Moving into a new house and while checking what can be done to the concrete garage floor, saw many suggested to apply epoxy coating to it as it would help in cleaning and looks good as well. I am thinking to give a shot myself (DIY), hence looking for suggestions from experts here on which product and tips on how should I go about it. If anyone has done any videos of DIY Epoxy coating, that would be a great help. 

thanks .. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Epoxy on newly built house garage

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @an_kv. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your questions.

Preparation is key to laying a fantastic looking Epoxy coating on your garage floor. Do you happen to know if a sealer has been applied to the concrete already? If not, you can do a simple water droplet test. If the droplet is readily absorbed, then you are good to coat the floor. However, if it just sits on the surface, you'll need to acid etch it before proceeding.

We have a couple of different brands to choose from, including the Rust-oleum Rocksolid range and the Dy-mark Epoxy coat. In the Dy-mark range, we have a water-based option that is low-odour and cleans up with water. You can see its use in the article linked below.

You should find this step-by-step article useful: How To Apply Epoxy To A Garage Floor.

You might also like to check out these previous discussions: Epoxy garage floor project and Using an epoxy kit in the garage by @maknilsin.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
an_kv
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell .. just wanted to know the Epoxy kit at Bunnings, does it have all the things like brush etc  we need to do a new garage .. assuming I don’t need acid wash. 

regards

anoop 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi anoop (@an_kv),

You'll need to pick up a few other products to make the application a breeze.

These would include: 

This step-by-step article shows you how to use them all: How To Apply Epoxy To A Garage Floor.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
an_kv
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell ... great help.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects