Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Exposing stud walls and roofing in Garage - What do I need to look out for?

DesmondC
Growing in Experience

Exposing stud walls and roofing in Garage - What do I need to look out for?

Hi there,

I'm looking to expose the stud walls and roof struts in my garage so it sort of has a barn-like feel to it. In my head, the project involves:

1) removing the existing plasterboard walls and ceiling;

2) installing plasterboard to seal off the garage from 1 adjoining wall with a living area in the house where not already plasterboarded;

3) potentially treating or painting the stud walls and roof struts to ensure water and insect resistance?

Are these the right steps? Are there other steps I'm missing? What should I be looking out for and doing when it comes to each of these? 

Thanks so much!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Exposing Stud Walls and Roofing in Garage - What Do I Need to Look Out For?

Hi @DesmondC,

Thanks for your post. You might like to let members know what your goals are for this project as it might affect the best approach. For example, are you hoping to create the illusion of more space, or perhaps access additional storage options? 

Some photos and/or a floorplan might also help members to see what you are working with.

I will ask the ever-helpful Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc to assist you when he is back from his well-deserved break at the end of the week. Many thanks for your patience in the meantime, and I'm sure other Workshop members will be happy to also assist. 

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're so pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading more about your garage project and other plans for around the house and garden. We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our clever and creative members.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DesmondC
Growing in Experience

Thanks @Jason , really appreciate your message. Great suggestions.

So basically what I’d like to achieve is a combo of (1) more vertical space, both practically speaking and for aesthetics to achieve a “barn-like” feel, and (2) additional storage in the current enclosed loft space where access is restricted via a manhole but would prefer direct access via ladder throughout entire floor space of the garage.

Here are some pics of the garage in current state (first 3) and some examples of what I’m hoping to achieve (last 3).

Thanks for anyone and everyone’s input!

B9F9577D-D208-49A5-BDFC-1E72A0BD9E81.jpeg

B062A716-C40A-4DD0-A856-F406709FE38B.jpeg

098C262B-41FD-417F-9492-AA724F7194A0.jpeg

848F70C9-BEA6-4DC6-BFF2-C5B219AD9B43.jpeg

E8443FA4-C3B0-4AA4-ACB2-410333F2AD83.jpeg

3E61603D-283D-42C1-8235-D28DC4931565.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the update @DesmondC, that will really help members to see what you are working with and what you have in mind.

In addition to @MitchellMc assisting you when he is back, let me tag some other members who have completed fantastic garage projects in the past, including @TheSaltyreefer@Seaton and @Kiwifr33, to see if they might like to share their thoughts. 

Thanks again,

Jason

Hi Desmond,

If I was in your position I would firstly be looking closely at my roof truss design: if it's 'busy' you may not get the open spacious look you're after. Maybe take a photo if your memory is anything like mine! Then see if you can find anything similar modelled in Sketchup and look at it from all the angles you will be viewing it from to see if you like it. I'm guessing you'll have more of your second 'after' picture than the exposed beam look.

Still going ahead? Good for you! What are you trusses and studs made of? Pressure-treated pine, or maybe cedar if you're lucky? How well will that take the finish you're after? How much work will it be to get them to finish standard?

Don't mean to be a downer, but after all that - what is the exterior cladding like? Are you going to lose insulation, or encourage condensation by exposing it? Will there be any safety issues due to now-exposed wiring?

All food for thought. Obviously take care with the electrical when doing the work too. Good luck!

wooshka
Making a Splash

Re: Exposing stud walls and roofing in Garage - What do I need to look out for?

We did this if it helps , shows what is underneath the walls if you remove the gyprock IMG_20190203_094732.jpgIMG_20190203_094803.jpgIMG_20191004_174403.jpgIMG_20191004_174403.jpg

we 

DesmondC
Growing in Experience

Re: Exposing stud walls and roofing in Garage - What do I need to look out for?

Thanks so much for this as an example. Really helpful in terms of showing what a space could be turned into.

DesmondC
Growing in Experience

Hey @Kiwifr33 ,

Thanks heaps for your helpful advice.

1) Trusses and studs: your comments are spot on and exactly what I was after. They will end up looking like picture #2 once I'm done. They're treated pine so I think the next step for me on that is as you say, consider what finish may suit that material best. I'm really just after a light protective all-purpose stain. I'm anticipating this to be a fair bit of work, which is fine. Slow and steady... Any recommendations or don't dos? 

2) So the exterior is weatherboard and is not subject to insulation currently. By removing this area of plasterboard, does that encourage condensation? There is one adjoining wall to the main part of the house which I will keep up for insulation purposes. But as I remove the ceiling, there will be no plasterboard in the roof area through to the main part of the house. I plan to have that area insulated and plasterboarded to (a) give the main part of the house insualtion, but (b) also for fire safety purposes? Should I be considering other things and is the right approach?

3) Good point re: the wiring. I'll be getting a leccie to come in to wire up the garage and place outlets where I want them. And then using a bunch of cord clips to keep them neat. Sort of similar to inside the house? Thoughts?

Cheers!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DesmondC,

It's great to see you've received some helpful replies from @Kiwifr33 and @wooshka. @wooshka's project is a good indication of what could be achieved. Can I ask if there are any plans to sell this house in the future? My only concern is that what you might view as a barn, buyers could potentially see as an unfinished garage.

I'd be interested to see what the roof structure is like and @Kiwifr33 has some solid advice on checking out how busy it is. Do you know if there is sarking under the roofing material? I really like how @wooshka has clad the roof's underside with sheeting to give it a finished look.

Interesting project, I'm excited to follow along.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects