Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fastener Storage Trolley

Wayne
Becoming a Leader

Fastener Storage Trolley

Storage Trolley 10.jpg
I have a few of these storage containers for screws and small parts, I decided to make a trolley that holds 8 of them for easier access.
I had the melamine sheet which was previously a stationery cupboard that I bought at auction for $20 and originally dismantled it with shelves in mind.
I cut out 2 side panels at 350mm deep x 1000mm high then used a 5/8" Dado stack to cut 5mm deep dados (grooves) in those side panels to support the shelves. 
Storage Trolley 1.jpg
I spaced the dados at 100mm to cater for the storage boxes.
Storage Trolley 2.jpg
I glued and clamped the 2 centre shelves in place and drilled Pocket Holes to secure the top and base panels.
Storage Trolley 3.jpg
I then cut the top and base from 30mm veneered MDF which I had on hand from previous projects, they are cut to the same 350mm depth but around 20mm wider on each side.
Storage Trolley 4.jpg
With a lower shelf dry clamped in place I screwed the side panels to the top and then the base panel.
Storage Trolley 5.jpg
Once the base and top were attached I then proceeded to glue in the remaining shelves.
Storage Trolley 6.jpg
Storage Trolley 7.jpgStorage Trolley 8.jpg
And a preview of how the storage containers would fit.
Storage Trolley 9.jpg
I had some wheels on hand that I bought a few sets when they were on special, marked them out and screwed to the base panel.
Storage Trolley 12.jpg
I cut out a back out of 5mm Melamine MDF and nailed it on.
Storage Trolley 10.jpgStorage Trolley 11.jpg
And here it is all done, a convenient roll around trolley/cart with all my screws and fasteners all in one place.

Wood Working with Wayne
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Fastener Storage Trolley

Great project as always @Wayne. Many thanks for sharing in such terrific detail. I'm sure other Workshop members will be keen to replicate your work.

What do you plan on tackling next?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Wayne
Becoming a Leader

Re: Fastener Storage Trolley

I am not sure what will be next, I am just coming out of Winter hibernation LOL
I have been somewhat rejuvenated teaching a girlfriend of my daughters some basic woodworking techniques on the weekends, she has a few projects in mind. I will guide her initially and then let her finish each step, the most difficult part is making her aware of the dangers of machine operation and safety practices which I just observe automatically and somewhat take for granted now.We are currently making something like this Toddler House Bed.
Toddler House Bed.jpg

Wood Working with Wayne

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects