Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Guttering for kit shed

pstq
Having an Impact

Guttering for kit shed

We've had one of these Absco sheds for a few years, and I'm getting tired of the rain dripping off the roof, which makes the grass in front of the shed grow wild. Any ideas for adding some kind of guttering? The main problem is that normal guttering would prevent the door opening.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/absco-sheds-3-0-x-3-0-x-2-06m-premier-double-door-garden-shed-monument_p...

At a previous house, I ended up raising the roof higher and adding rafters, but that's a lot of bother. I could trim the doors down to clear the guttering, but then it would be a pain going in and out.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Guttering for kit shed

Hi @pstq,

Is there a C channel capping on the front lip of the roof sheeting? If so, does it divert the water off the sides of the shed? If not, perhaps something like that could be added by siliconing it into position. Kind of like a mini gutter on the end of the sheets. It wouldn't cope with a massive downpour but could potentially divert the water to the sides at least. Alternatively, have you considered laying a few pavers across the front of the shed?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

It did, but I took it off because it make it worse. In heavy rain it just directs water back toward the shed.

Maybe I could tuck some of this under the edge, upside down:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/fielders-390mm-x-2-4m-zinc-roll-top-ridge_p4790553

It might still hit the door though.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

There are likely several profiles that could be used @pstq. The key will be siliconing them on the underside and having them fall in one direction. Otherwise, the water will just pool and find its way underneath, as you've experienced. What about slicing a piece of Holman 40mm x 3m Class 12 PVC Pressure Pipes down its length and placing it over the edge of the roof sheeting? The sheeting profile should open the pipe enough to allow water to enter and then its depth would contain it. Hopefully, then it would find the easiest route out which would be to the sides.

Let me mention @TedBear and @tom_builds to see if they have any thoughts.

Mitchell

Hi @pstq ,

What about some wide L zinc angle

such as 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/fielders-2-4m-150mm-zinc-angle_p4790171

I'd connect it such that the lip is a little out from the roof edge, but still clearing the door.  The 150mm lip under the roofing should stop water running back into the shed, while the upright lip will divert it to the sides. 

An alternative version would be to just do that over the door area, plus a bit each side and then have guttering and  downpipes at each side of the door. The water diverted by the zinc angle over the door can then drop into the gutters.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this solution will require undoing the roof screws along that edge, but I guess you would have figured that out at the time. Just doing over the door area will mean less disturbance of the roof attachment.

pstq
Having an Impact

This is what I ended up doing. I shortened the doors, and screwed some 150x25 treated pine along the inside along the top. I screwed some spacers to that on the outside, and then the guttering clips to the spacers. Had to have the timber on the inside because the roof overhang isn't enough to have it on the outside.IMG_2524.JPGIMG_2516c.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Well done @pstq! That certainly looks like a functional solution.

Many thanks for updating us on your success.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects