Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Home cinema in the garage

JoshC83
Having an Impact

Home cinema in the garage

inbound3976260896362526843.jpg

I have an attached garage that was full of junk and just used for storage so idecided to turn it into a cinema room but need to keep access to the backyard as the shed had roller doors front and rear and was the only way to get through.

Materials used where yellow tongue and roughly 90x30 timber  for the flooring can't remember the size, black paint for the roof also led strip lights for the floor riser and ceiling the ceiling strip was also stuck to some PVC angle so you can't see the led lights it self just the glow.

I have probably forgot something this whole build was done on a budget and I think has come up awesome the family loves it 

inbound1001153380174208188.jpg

inbound281070971265366040.jpg

inbound6756152004991904398.jpg

inbound976140754618676611.jpg

  inbound1553574923413832488.jpg

https://youtube.com/shorts/kA3MVj4ANi8?feature=share

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Home cinema in the garage

Hi @JoshC83,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is wonderful to have you join and share your home cinema project with us. You'll find Workshop to be a great source of inspiration and advice for all things DIY and garden. We also have a resident home cinema enthusiast and expert @Prof who will love to see what you created. If you feel like you have missed something, make sure you check out his article How to build a home theatre.

I can imagine your family loves to have a movie night, especially with the special touch of the snack bar! How did you get that cool neon cloud effect on the ceiling? Is it from your projector?

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Katie 

Thanks for the postive feedback I'll be sure to check out the link you shared and that star light with the nebula is just a $40 thing from eBay it works really well and creats a great effect you can also buy them from Kmart for around $69. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/144517804437?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0&ssspo=e5nuyzolqvy...

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @JoshC83,

That is seriously so cool. I think I know what I'll be getting my nieces and nephew for Christmas this year! Thank you for sharing. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Prof
Becoming a Leader

Hi @JoshC83 ..

That's a very nicely done home theatre and utilizes unused space very well..

The LED lighting effect looks very nice and the star ceiling with the nebula effect adds a touch of mystique..Very effective..!!

What is the size of the shed and did you add any acoustic panels ? Also what type of screen is that ? It shows a very nice image..

Prof...

JoshC83
Having an Impact

Hi @Prof

Thanks for the postive feedback I haven't been able to add any accoustic panels yet, that might be the next thing but the thick velvet curtains seem to do an ok job of keeping the sound in, and balanced. The screen is an electric 120" 16.9 1.1 gain paired with the optoma hd30hdr and the room is roughly 3m x 5m I think but the shed is about 3.2m X 7m I have left 1m either side for storage and my av equipment,  Just need to save and update the lounges so I have cup holders lol

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Josh...It was very interesting to read your post..

It appears we have some similarities with our home theatres.!!

You mentioned that you have velvet curtains on the walls ( which will help to reduce reflections from high frequencies )..I have crushed velvet fixed to my walls.!!

My second projector was a Optima HD.!!

And my room measures 3M. x 5.5M. !! I've taken about a Metre out of the length of the room to accommodate an acoustically transparent screen

with speakers and sub woofer behind the screen..

All my equipment is in another room so as not to lose anymore space..

There are some very nice home theatre recliner chairs available these days..so good luck with all that..

JoshC83
Having an Impact

Wow how funny I think the size of our room is great yes I'd like larger for my needs it's perfect. 

This is my second projector my last was also an optoma but I'm super happy with the new purchase for the price.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Looks great @JoshC83 !

Love the lollie area.

Could you put the three-seater on a higher base so you don't have to separate the two front chairs? Theatre style?

I could definitely put the 2 recliners together the back is already higher than the front, when I manage to get new chairs I think I'll be setting it up like you mentioned but at the moment the 2 recliners look better a part than pushed together plus gives my 3 yr old more space down the front to play while I'm watching a movie lol

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects