Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How could I better insulate this top part of the roller door?

Vitriolum
Finding My Feet

How could I better insulate this top part of the roller door?

Our garage is being used as a gym, the roller door has batts and MDF board on top, however I couldn't figure out the best, yet affordable hopefully DIY method to insulate the top part of it, if anyone has suggestions it would be much appreciated. 

so far I only stuffed some old foam mattress on the sides, in the gaps, rolled a tarp and taped some shed insulation roll over it (the latter not shown in the picture). 

Would there were better foam I could use for the gaps? and would it work to maybe tape some XPS boards or similar around it into a  a box shape? We didn't want to take the door down in case it will be used again in the future. 

Thanks!  😊

423735882_326278687112714_6075602863775571375_n.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How could I better insulate this top part of the roller door?

Hi @Vitriolum,

Due to the methods you've used so far, it's a little hard to tell what you're trying to insulate. Is there a gap behind those materials, and if so, where does that gap lead? Are you standing outside the garage and past the roller is inside? It's just a bit confusing, as roller doors are typically installed on the inside of the door. 

It sounds like boxing in the area would likely be quite effective. I'd remove the cardboard boxes and install insulation batts there instead. You could then box in the whole area with insulation panels.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

thank you for your reply. To clarify, its an older type of roller door where I believe its longer than the door even it is closed therefore more of it is still rolled up, hence the idea to box this area, and the sides had some air gaps that I filled with some foam. If I understood right, you suggested to bring the wall forward and add batts so to have a straight wall from top to bottom and close it off with foilboard? we planned to put some foilboard on the brick wall side as well, a  few more  question if I may,  would you say it will work equally well without a timber frame, just by fastening it straight on to the wall? and would you use the same thickness 25mm? also if the metal roller door on the outside is likely to heat up more than other material could a piece of foilboard wrapped in a shade cloth help? (or some other type of panel). 

Thank you!

- Tina 

Hi Tina (@Vitriolum),

So sorry, as my reply was likely confusing. I was fooled by the mirror and thought you'd created a doorway. Now I understand better.

I'd attach Foilboard over the back of the door onto the material you've already placed there. Space it off that material with small blocks of Foilboard to create an air gap. Once attached, add strips of the Foilboard to box those sheets back to the brick wall. Or, if it's more convenient, you could continue the boards on the back of the roller door straight across to the wall. Silicone can be used to attach the board and blocks.

For the section around the roller door, as mentioned, I'd pull out the cardboard and replace it with insulation batts. Squish them in around the top and sides of the roller. To finish, cut some Foilboard and sandwich the insulation behind it.

You could build a false wall in front of the roller, which might require around the same amount of effort. You'll then have a nice flat surface to work on. Obviously, you'll lose some space, though.

Could you install a couple of these outdoor blinds in front of the door to shade it?

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

Oh right, yes it looks deceptive! and no worries. Thank you for the suggestions, just to clarify did you meant by blocks cutting pieces of foilboard itself and with silicone put them at the back of the foilboad to works as a frame/air gap before attaching it to the wall? We will try the batts and sandwiching it with foilboard idea first so not to loose the space. We already got some sail shade, see if that works otherwise will look into the outdoor blind option :smile: 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Vitriolum,

I believe what you've said is correct, that my colleague @MitchellMc was suggesting using small pieces of foil board to create an airgap behind the full sized foilboard sheets over the wall. This will create a thermal gap stopping the thermal transfer from the outside material into the back of the foilboard. 

Happy to confirm when he is back online, but I am fairly confident this is what he meant.

Jacob

Thank you for the clarification and a quick reply  :smile: 

To confirm, that was what I meant, @Vitriolum.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects