Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clad an old shed?

tom138
Having an Impact

How to clad an old shed?

Hi there, 

Just planning a new project here. I have this poor old shed on my property and I am looking at re-cladding it. I am getting an asbestos removal company to strip the old fibro sheets first, of course.

2BD655D4-E1BB-44BD-866D-74D58050195C.jpeg

73C62041-2FC7-443B-AAEC-CFF397B7A2EE.jpeg

The framing looks ok with studs 60cm apart:

7B23DA12-33BF-4B6E-87AF-8ED4E17C4D87.jpeg

E0169A7B-9D57-4B48-9552-2D7836FE2F73.jpeg

275CA0B3-85B3-4FB9-933C-EBDD7B107DEE.jpeg

What would be the most cost-efficient and easiest install DIY cladding for the shed?  

Thanks, 

Tom

 

Re: How to clad an old shed?

Thanks for your advise @redracer01. Do you think it would be a good idea to reinforce (all) corner joints with something like this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/carinya-90-x-90-x-65-x-2-5mm-galvanised-reinforcing-brackets-4-pack_p396...

Tom

Hi @tom138 

That's a big yes for me when adding extra support. The Carinya 90 x 90 x 65 x 2.5mm Galvanised Reinforcing Brackets are perfect for those corners. You must be a mind reader as I was thinking exactly that product. The Gripset Betta 1L Waterproofing Membrane Bitumen Rubber is the way to go. Keep in mind that this product can be diluted for easier application.

Please keep safety in mind always wear gloves and goggles when working on your renovation.

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Fantastic! I’m off to Bunnings. Thanks for your help and have a great holidays! Tom

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @tom138 

Woohooo to getting back on with the shed :smile: I agree with @redracer01  about replacing the post and the brackets. Not sure about the bitumen but id err on the side of @redracer01 knowing more then I :smile: (Ive only used it on brickwork)

Id replace that post with similar hardwood, keep an eye out for people ripping down old house/shed :smile: Ive used recycled hardwood a LOT and man it just keeps on lasting way longer then any treated pine I have seen. Might be harder to work with but worth it long run.

Dave

tom138
Having an Impact

Progress is very slow due to the frame being in worse condition than  I first thought and also due to weather. Difficult to get anything done :wink:

But progress nevertheless. @Dave-1 I haven’t been able to find the same size timber new let alone second hand :smile: The corner posts are 70x70mm - which seems like an unusual size these days. I have to use two 70x35mm instead. I had to replace two of the posts as well as one more stud.

BC765127-9B4F-4687-A520-46B5E120928D.jpeg

CD4CDCDE-7C76-4797-9A13-B6065552EBC4.jpeg

61C968FE-0797-49AD-9684-D2B78C223E5E.jpeg

I’ve installed the brackets and secured them using 10 x 100mm Anka screws to the concrete. I am installing these into every corner top and bottom. I’ve heard that one is supposed to put screw or nail into every single hole but I’m a bit worried about splitting the old timber. 

I had to cut these cross braces as the ends were rotten:

C07427E1-1568-4D12-BAC2-17A61B53E4C9.jpeg

And as a result there is a bit of movement in the frame. What’s the best way to fix that @redracer01@EricL ? A metal bracing strap? Should I get rid of what’s left of the existing cross brace first or just install it over it? 

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thanks for sharing that update, @tom138. That's progress indeed. Hope things get easier from here. 

@EricL is currently away on his well-deserved year-end holiday break, but our other resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to provide some suggestions on stabilising your frame as soon as he can.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @tom138 

Man I am envious! :smile: I do want a shed in my backyard one day and have ideas on what I want :smile: Watching you work through this has me standing there going "oh yeah!".  Also id like to say nice effort in replacing the rotted bits.

A metal bracing strap would work, or replace the timber one. Some cutting and chiseling will be needed is all. I like redoing it the original way as much aspossible as you know it worked before.

Dave

tom138
Having an Impact

Heya @Dave-1,

you should get one. I’d say it’s every man’s right to have a shed :wink: I’m spending so much time and effort (and money) working on mine that makes me think that I should use it for something bit less mundane than storage space for the mower and gardening tools. 

I’d love to replace the timber brace but sourcing the right type of timber  might be a challenge. I measured it and it’s 73x23mm! Also, I thought it would be a god idea to run braces in both directions to form an X.

Best,

Tom

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd recommend leaving the existing braces if they are not rotted and adding additional steel strap braces in an X fashion on all walls @tom138. Don't forget to use the tensioners too.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects