Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean garage floor?

mukeshkaura1
Finding My Feet

How to clean garage floor?

Hello brain-bank!, would anyone kindly let us know what is the best way to clean garage floor or we should just give up and repaint the floor? The idea is to clean it properly and then eventually get some floor mats on. Any advice will be super helpful! (pictures attached) Garage floor1.jpgGarage floor2.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to clean garage floor?

Hi @mukeshkaura1,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

I suggest using Chemtech 5L Concrete And Driveway Cleaner alongside a good stiff bristled brush such as Oates Long Handle Deck Scrub Brush. If you have access to a high-pressure cleaner such as the Karcher K2 Plus High Pressure Washer this would definitely make the task easier.

Ensure you follow all safety recommendations and instruction on the packaging and wear all relevant personal protective equipment such as gloves, mask, eye protection, enclosed shoes and long pants.

Unfortunately, with grease stains in concrete, sometimes it is not possible to remove everything and to give it that perfect, just poured look to the as the stains have penetrated beyond the surface. If you find that once you've given it a good clean, it is still not up to your standards, you should consider painting or epoxying the floor using products such as Dy-Mark 8L Epoxy Coat Garage Floor Kit or White Knight Accent Heavy Duty Ultra Pave Concrete And Paving Paint.

Have a look at this previous project from @maknilsin, Epoxy garage floor transformation, for some inspiration on what you can achieve.

This helpful D.I.Y article will also be useful.

How to apply epoxy to a garage floor

If you have any further questions, please feel free to get in touch.

Jacob

Thanks so so much Jacob, I think this is fantastic advice - have reached out to Mitch about a pressure washer recommendation too 

Let me proceed with the cleaning either with or without pressure washer to see what point are we. Then most likely paint will be the way for us.

Small question if you have time - we had a professional came for an pressure washer cleaning quote last year. He mentioned that he cant use the pressure washer in the garage as the water will seep through the floorboard and concrete. Does that throw spanner in the works? 

Best,

Mukesh

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mukeshkaura1,

It's certainly something to consider as water ingress can cause damage to the walls and skirting, but if you are cautious in the way you use the pressure cleaner, you shouldn't cause unnecessary damage. As long as you direct the water away from the walls at all times, are aware of where the water is going and stop periodically to remove any pooling water, you should be capable of avoiding damage to the walls and skirting.

It would definitely be a much safer option to do it by hand with the firm bristled scrubbing brush, but either way there will be water around timber that needs to be managed accordingly.

If you have any further questions, please get in touch.

Jacob

Sounds like a plan Jacob - thanks so much!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects