Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean rubber gym mats

bilcruise
Building a Reputation

How to clean rubber gym mats

Hi community,

I recently bought second hand rubber gyms mats that are more or less like this https://www.bunnings.com.au/ultimate-flooring-1-x-1m-rubber-gym-tile-black_p4490356 and they are really dirty because they have been in the garage for a while, e.g. collecting dust.

I tried using the Ryobi 2000 psi pressure washer and it seems like it cleaned some part of the mat, but not all, even though I sprayed it all over. It wasn't easy too, it took a few minutes before I stopped spraying it and the result wasn't as good as I expected.

I also attempted to use one of those microfibre spin mop with some floor cleaning solution and warm water. It didn't work either.

with pressure washer and/or microfibre mopwith pressure washer and/or microfibre mop

How can I clean them easily and effectively?

current conditioncurrent condition

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to clean rubber gym mats

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bilcruise and thanks for jumping in with this tricky question.

As you're trying to lift dust and dirt from rubber, I would have a go with a stiff scrubbing brush and a vacuum cleaner. Finishing it off with a pressure wash once all the dust and dirt has been lifted. I'm sure that @MitchellMc will have some suggestions for you. 

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @bilcruise 

Why not try the Ryobi Pressure Washer Extension Patio Cleaning Kit. This will provide you with a wider washing face rather than just a stream from the pressure washer. https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-pressure-washer-extension-patio-cleaning-kit_p0018774 If it can clean your deck and patio surely it can clean your gym tiles.

Cheers,

Red

Screenshot_2021-03-09 Ryobi Pressure Washer Extension Patio Cleaning Kit.png

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

bilcruise
Building a Reputation

@JaneK thanks for the warm welcome. I didn't know Bunnings had a forum like this, which is awesome.

Are you able to link me to any of the scrubbing brush you have that I can take a look and/or potentially purchase?

bilcruise
Building a Reputation

Hi @redracer01 , thank you for the recommendation. Thankfully I got that extension already as part of Ryobi 140-SC. I didn't think to use it though for cleaning the rubber mats.

So with this, do I just got with the maximum pressure?

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

I reckon something like this might work.

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 00.06.53.png

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful

Hello @bilcruise 

I suggest testing one first if pressure can be adjusted then i suggest using mid pressure and not on low. Use liquid detergent and see if that helps.

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Have you had any success with cleaning your mats @bilcruise?

It's great to see you've already received some helpful assistance from both @JaneK and @redracer01. I'd be keen to hear how the patio head went, and I'd agree that a mild liquid detergent similar to washing-up liquid would assist as it's particularly good at breaking down grease and dirt.

There's also an Oates Deck Scrub Brush with a handle that might be slightly easier on your back.

Please let us know how you go.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bilcruise
Building a Reputation

Thank you @JaneK @redracer01 and @MitchellMc i am really blown away by the level of support and tips you guys have given. I haven't had the chance to try the patio cleaning kit, hopefully in the next few days I can try it and give you guys an update. Thank you.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects