Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean water stains from rubber gym mat floor?

Glider
Finding My Feet

How to clean water stains from rubber gym mat floor?

Hi,

I have a studio with rubber gym mats that are stuck down. I mopped them and they now have water stains and I’ve learned a lesson!!! My question is:. How can I get rid of the water stains?

thanks

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to clean water stains from rubber gym mat floor?

Hi @Glider,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome you have joined and thank you for asking about how to clean your gym floor matts. 

Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon to give his assistance, but let me tag @Remarka6le and @TedBear as these are excellent members who have their own home gym and may be able to give some suggestions. When you mopped them, was it just water? 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Glider 

Thanks for sharing your question about your stained rubber mats. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the stains to give us an idea of what the stains looks like? It could be a chemical or detergent stain left behind on the surface. 

Can you also please tell us the steps you took and the materials that you used to clean the surface of the gym mats. Once we have more information, we'll be able to make recommendations on how to possibly clean the surface.

Eric

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your response. I used a bucket of warm water with a small capful (maybe 20mls) of Earths Choice floor cleaner.  I mopped with a very well wrung out mop, cotton unfortunately so I also have fluff on the floor 🙄 but okay with getting rid of that and I’ve now bought a microfibre mop for the future  I also left a strong wall fan running for a few hours after to help dry the floor.

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Glider 

I suspect that the Earths Choice might have left a film residue on top of the rubber mat. I suggest using a Mr Clean Handheld Iron Scrub Brush with some plain warm water on the surface of the mat. Test a small area with the scrub brush and dry it off with your microfibre mop as soon as possible. Don't let the water air dry and use the wall fan so that the moisture on the mat dries quickly.

Observe if the water stain has gone away or has stayed behind. At this point, I don't want to recommend any other chemicals as it might do more damage to your mat.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your gym mat free of water stains.

Eric

Thanks Eric, I’ll try that. Also here are pics of the floor - It looks worse in real time.

89B6EA70-7B11-46F4-B06A-6C251EC04E59.jpeg

34F02F28-C2F3-4AD7-8CF7-EEF7347EF83D.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Glider

I can clearly see the water stains; I suggest trying out my suggestion and see if it comes off. Just keep in mind to dry off the surface as soon as possible and not letting water puddles air dry on the surface.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects