Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a garage wall leak?

VE66RT
Finding My Feet

How to fix a garage wall leak?

I have an area of the garage that allows a substantial amount of water in when it rains, or even when I directly hose the ground. The result is that the concrete garage floor floods. I have marked this particular external area in the red box below.

Garage Ext_1.jpg

The image below shows the same wall from the inside. Unfortunately, the area where the damp course material intersects the slab and the wall seems to be the source of ingress.  

Garage Int.jpg

What would be the best suggested method to effectively seal this area?

Wondering if I should dig a small area in the ground adjacent and parallel to the area of the wall that is highlighted in red in the 1st image, and concrete it below the level that the slab and wall meet?

Cheers

Scott.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a garage wall leak?

Hello @VE66RT 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your leaking garage wall. 

Your idea of digging into the area where you've indicated is a good idea. From there you'll be able to see what exactly is going on and why water is passing through that area. I suspect that due to the slope of the soil, water is being diverted directly into that low spot. Since there is no water proofing to stop it, any rainwater gathering there goes directly through the wall and into the garage.  

I propose digging into the area and cleaning the brick wall so that you can apply Gripset Betta 1L Waterproofing Membrane Bitumen Rubber. At this point you either install an Everhard 3m EasyDRAIN Polymer Grate And Prejoined Channel to divert the water flowing into that area.

You can also change the slope of your soil so that it flows away from that spot or create a small concrete pad that has a surface fall that diverts water away from the wall. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good morning @VE66RT 

Welcome to the Bunnings community  page :smile: You will find a bunch of ideas/projects I am sure. And in particular issues like the one you are describing! 

I had a similar issue, they are painful to solve I must admit but kind of like a puzzle you have to do. In my instance my garage was below the ground level next to it. (Fixed now :smile: )

A couple of questions and maybe an idea or two.

Does the grassed area fill with water easily? And where does it drain to?

Is the grassed area at the bottom of a slope at all?

I really like @EricL 's suggestion as its the same as what I was about to type lol

I'd definently put a grated drain along the edge of the wall and connect it to the drain under the tap. Id also lower the level of the ground so its not the same level as the garage floor. With the bituman paint it works beautifully but it really stands out so you will be able to see it above the grassline type deal. I use to think that a brick wall would stop water... hahahah nope and it also has a huge amount of cracks/gaps in the bricks and mortar plus that the bricks are porus! Live and learn I tell myself.

Ive just included the link to my project on fixing my water issue with my garage. The bitumen paint you will see. (Note that its super sticky and thick, if you get it on anything it will stick like crazy! The difference in water entering the garage was instantaneous :smile: It was worth the effort to fix as it removed the stress that I had every time we had a downpour.

Fixing water ingress issues in garage 

Would love to see some photos of your solution.

Dave

Thanks @EricL & @Dave-1.

Yours looks like it was quite the project Dave, hoping mine won't be as epic...

With respect to the grassed area, there is no where for the water to drain and the ground is flat and has a fair amount of clay in it.

I like the idea of a drain and incorporating the bitumen painting. I'll provide an update and images once completed.

Scott.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects