Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install Ryobi Link in a steel frame garage?

hammerandnails
Getting Established

How to install Ryobi Link in a steel frame garage?

I'm embarking on a project to organise my garage and I've decided to install the Ryobi Link system. However, my garage has a bit of a unique challenge - it (& the home) is built with a steel frame.The Ryobi Link system being quite wide means that some of the mounting points will need to attach directly to the steel frame, while others will anchor into the plaster.

I'm reaching out to this knowledgeable community for advice on the best approach for this installation:

1. For Fixing to Steel Frame: What type of screws or bolts are recommended for securing items directly to steel? I'm looking for options that provide a strong, reliable hold that are also easy to install.

2. For Anchoring in Plaster Walls: What are the best anchors or screws for plaster walls that can adequately support the weight and usage of the Ryobi Link system? I want to ensure a secure fit that won't loosen over time or damage the plaster.

3. General Tips: Are there any specific tools or techniques I should use for this kind of installation?

I appreciate any guidance, tips, or product recommendations you can offer to help make this installation successful and secure. Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Seeking Advice on Installing Ryobi Link in a Steel Frame Garage

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @hammerandnails. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a wall-mounted storage unit.

You can use Tek screws to fix directly into the steel frame. For the plaster, I'd suggest hollow wall anchors, which can hold up to 10kg per fixing. Depending on the situation, you might find it easier to install a timber bridging piece between the steel studs and then install the link system onto the timber with timber screws.

Regarding tools, you'll only need a drill driver to complete the installation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell, appreciate the quick reply. I have a couple of follow-up questions to ensure I get this installation right.

1. Tek Screw Size for Steel Frame: The Ryobi Link system comes with 12G 65mm standard non-Tek screws. For replacing these with Tek screws for the steel frame, should I be looking for Tek screws of the same dimensions (12G, 65mm)? Could you recommend a specific Tek screw that would be suitable for a steel frame to ensure a secure fit?

2. Avoiding Pull-Out Issues: In my previous single experience with Tek screws, I've had issues with them pulling whatever I'm installing out of the wall as the screw is going in. This is particularly problematic when you already have a screw installed and when you go to do the next it causes that part of the item to come out of the wall and bend. Is this a matter of using the wrong type of Tek screw, or are there specific techniques to avoid this issue?

3. Wall Anchors for Plaster Walls: The Ryobi Link system requires wall anchors with a minimum head size of 10mm to fit its existing holes, but the hollow wall anchors you recommended have a head size of only 9mm. Are there alternative wall anchors you could suggest that would match the required dimensions or another product like a washer that is recommended to make this work?

Any additional insights or product recommendations to address these specifics would be incredibly helpful. I'm keen to get this installation done correctly and securely, so your expert advice is greatly appreciated.

A 12g Tek screw would likely suit the hole size in the mounting bracket @hammerandnails. No need to go for a 65mm screw, as that would be for timber. For steel, the screw only needs to be long enough to pass through the steel you're screwing into. So if it's 3mm steel, you'd go for something like the Zenith 12G x 25mm Galvanised Hex Head With Seal Metal Screws.

It sounds like the Tek screw threads were larger than the hole in the item you were fixing. To avoid this, ensure you are pushing the fixed item against the wall whilst fixing the screw in. If you push the mounting bracket against the wall, it should sit around the cutting tip whilst it cuts in. If the screw is a bit large, then the bracket will catch on the thread and walk its way away from the wall. I've had that issue in the past and have just firmly pressed the bracket against the wall to counteract it.

Plaster wall anchors typically have quite a small head. I'd recommend picking up some washers to comply with the 10mm hole size. These Pinnacle M4 Zinc Plated Countersunk Washers should also work and give a neater appearance.

Mitchell

Thank you! Appreciate the advice, that's very helpful.

Just confirming the Washers need to match the Wall Anchors in terms of M-sizing? Wall Anchors are M5 so I should find those washers you linked but in M5 also?

Good pickup @hammerandnails. The Pinnacle M5 Zinc Plated Countersunk Washers would be the correct ones. 

Mitchell

Thanks for your help! :smile: 

Hi @hammerandnails, I have installed about a dozen of these systems on to brick, plasterboard, plasterboard over brick and hard and soft stud framing. It's very important to get at least 3 of 4 holes secured in to something solid. I would recommend not using the plastic anchors that come with the kit for plasterboard as they fail upon installation more times than they hold.

I use these from Ramset https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-super-wallmate-toggle-anchor-10-pack_p2260188

The only time they get tricky is when the cavity is full of insulation  which can hinder the wing from opening. The supplied small bolt heads will pull through the Link rail so grab a small pack of black washers to suit. If the rail is going to hold heavier items through in another couple of fixing points. And always use the supplied screw that come with the Link hooks to secure the to the rail. Otherwise they pop off the rail when removing items. 

And of course anytime your drilling and screwing fasteners in to walls be very aware they may be plumping or electrical cables behind.

standard stud spacings internal/external metal or woodstandard stud spacings internal/external metal or wood

Green screws in to studs blue are plasterboard anchorsGreen screws in to studs blue are plasterboard anchors

Hi Mitchell,

I've made some progress by installing the Ramset Wall Anchors. They did spin in the plaster and in every test piece of wood and plaster I used so I needed to buy the Ramset Wall Anchor Tool in order to secure them to the wall.

I've also confirmed that Tek 12Gx35mm are better than 12Gx25mm as the Ryobi Link requires that length as it is quite thick plastic. Unfortunately the head size on the 12Gx35mm is too big. It needs to be 1-2mm smaller in order for the screw head to fit into the inset mounting points of the Ryobi Link. However, when I search for 12Gx35mm on the website, I can't seem to find any alternatives. Would 10Gx35mm be the next best alternative to try?

Hi @hammerandnails,

I'm not sure why those hollow wall anchors would spin in the plasterboard. Although they can be installed with the tool, they should also be able to be installed by hand.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear before, but you might need to screw through the inset mounting points instead of attaching the screws first and then placing the bracket over them. So, the head of the screw should be larger than the hole.

For your method, it sounds like 10Gx35mm would be the next best alternative.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects