Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install under deck sliding/opening screen

sydneysider
Building a Reputation

How to install under deck sliding/opening screen

hi 

We have an underdeck storage area that has been a mess for years. We would like to make the backyard more inviting and have a seating with fire pit however we use the under deck space for storage which looks unsightly.

We have a few ideas on how to improve the usability of space and would like some feedback from this community: 

1) Instal poly roof under deck for easy cleaning and to make it waterproof  (note deck above is covered)

2) repave the backyard and underdeck with big format pavers

3) ideally instal screens which run along existing deck posts so bikes and other stuff is hidden. however, is it possible to have sliding or opening screen doors for easy access?

attaching some photos and would welcome suggestions.

thanksIMG_3283.JPEGIMG_3286.JPEGIMG_3287.JPEGIMG_4214.JPEGIMG_4215.JPEG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to install under deck sliding/opening screen

Hi @sydneysider,

We have a similar area under a deck at our place which houses our pool equipment as well as providing handy storage. We used Western Red Cedar battens and used a simple steel frame to include an access door. Hope that provides some inspiration for what you might achieve at your home. 

Jason

IMG_0030.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It sounds like you have some great plans for the space @sydneysider.

As a continuation of @Jason's suggestion, you could use SpecRite 1800 x 902mm Merbau Slat Screen Panels. One or more of these panels could have hinges attached to them, making the area accessible. You'll likely need to add additional Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 90 x 45mm timber at the bottom between posts to fix the screening. An upright timber can be fixed between the bottom horizontal member and the deck to attach the doors' hinges. Apart from that, a trim of their height should allow a straightforward installation and improve the area's aesthetics.

The poly roofing sounds like a good idea to keep the area dry, and large format pavers would look amazing to finish the look.

I look forward to following along with your project and providing advice when needed.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell

Thank you for the suggestion on Merbau panels. Definitely an option to consider. Its a span of 6m that I wanted to screen so I dont mind something bit more stylish and low maintenance as timber will need to be oiled to keep its new look. 

1) Are there any other panel types you would recommend - I found steel and aluminium screen panels on the site(below as example). Aluminium obviously lighter than steel. Do you think either can be attached with a hinge so they can be openable.  

https://www.bunnings.com.au/900-x-1200mm-acp-profile-25-decorative-unframed-panel-light-blue_p002508...

https://www.bunnings.com.au/protector-aluminium-940-x-1840mm-black-sunburst-decorative-framed-panel_...

2) Also are there any suggestions for underdeck roofing options please with minimal corrugation and plain/off white opaque design.  Inspiration is from this site : https://www.familyhandyman.com/project/under-deck-roof/

thanks

Hi @sydneysider,

There is also the range of Matrix screening which can have a frame attached to them. The frame is used to hold the panel upright with limited support, but it could give it enough rigidity to be used as a gate with hinges attached. Whatever option you select, I'd suggest it will need to be a framed version. An un-framed panel could make an aesthetical opening, but I don't believe it would be very practical or secure. How many opening panels do you need? My suggestion would be to frame up the back perimeter of a panel with Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 70 x 35mm. You'll then have a frame to attach hinges to and locking hardware.

For a roofing option with no corrugation, I could recommend Sunlite twinwall polycarbonate sheeting. In an opaque off-white, you have the Solar ice.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects