Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to insulate a pre-built shed?

staplar
Just Starting Out

How to insulate a pre-built shed?

Hi,

I'm new here and didn't know this space existed, excited!

My query is regarding my shed that came with the house I bought and I would like it to be insulated but I don't have the budget to get it done professionally so I'm choosing the DIY path.
As you can see from the images, it's sort of insulated using foil(not sure what it's actually called) insulation, but it isn't that effective in winter and right now it gets cold and also, the supposed studs leak air in as well.
Currently, I'm thinking of just buying some accustic batts with some higher R value but not sure if I need extra bit of support, for the batts, between each of those studs. Does the space between the stud look conventional/by law or it's just chosen by the builder at it's own preference?

Anyways, I'm eager to know answers to those questions and also if anyone has other ideas for insulation, for the upcoming winter?

Thanks in advanceImage from iOS.jpgImage from iOS (1).jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Insulating a pre-built shed that already has some sort of insulation?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @staplar. It's fantastic that you've joined us and many thanks for your question.

Normally studs are placed 450 or 650mm apart, and you'll notice this corresponds with our insulation batt sizes. How far apart are your studs? Having horizontal noggins isn't necessary, as you can use string tied between the studs to hold the batts in position. You can then plasterboard over the top to finish the walls. 

How much depth do you have to work with when installing the batts? Those studs do not appear to be very thick. Batts work best when not compressed, so even if you could squish an R2.5 into the wall cavity, it won't act to maximum efficiency. You might be better off using an R1.5 or adding additional batons to bring your wall cladding further out. Even the R1.5 is 75mm thick, and it appears like you only have 40mm of stud depth to work with.

Are you looking for any acoustic or sound deadening qualities in the batts? If not, you can use the non-acoustic varieties. Fibre batts will provide the most efficient insulation over that sarking. You might like to find the source of the air leaks and fix them with insulation tape before adding the batts.

I'll be looking forward to following along with your project. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects