Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint a metal garage door?

Alfandari
Getting Established

How to paint a metal garage door?

I want to paint our garage door black. Current paint is in good shape, no cracks or chips. A few questions:

1. Hoping I can get away with just the top coat?

2. Would I need 2 coats?

3. How much paint for double garage approximately 2.1m x 4.8m?

4. I have a roller stick with long handle. What roller attachment would you recommend for this type of paint?

5. Description doesn't say dry time. Please let me know as I need to plan for Melbourne weather 

Thanks!

1000025083.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting metal garage door

Hi @Alfandari,

You need to check to see whether the existing paint is compromised and powdery. Run your fingers along the paint. If a dusty coating is left on them, you need to prep the surface. Preparing the surfaces requires you to give it a scrub down with soapy water. Then, take a Scotch-Brite 155 x 100mm Heavy Duty Scourer Pad and go over the entire surface. Flush with clean water and wait for it to dry. Once it's dry, try the fingers test again. Continue this process until no paint residue is left on your fingers. Do one final wash with sugar soap before flushing with clean water and waiting for it to dry. You'll then be free to use the White Knight Rust Guard Grey Quick Dry True Bite Primer Paint and then your topcoat.

If no paint is left on your fingers initially, I'd just suggest you give the door a good scrub down with sugar soap and then flush the residue off with clean water and wait for it to dry. You can then apply your primer and topcoat. 

The primer is required for this process to work and you'll likely need two top coat layers for full coverage.

Roughly one litre of paint does 8m2 with two coats. But that depends on how heavy-handed you are. You have 10m2 there so you'll probably need 2L or paint for the topcoat and 1L for the primer.

The paint will be touch-dry in 4-6 hours and re-coat is 16 hours. Application is best done with a fine nap roller on a pole.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects