Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint the garage door?

terrywang
Building a Reputation

How to paint the garage door?

Need to paint the new tilt garage door (steel) and the new timber jambs, probably the porch fence (metal) as well. The garage door is west facing so it receive a lot of UV, especially in summer, so weather and UV resistance may be a major consideration (it doesn't show any sign of rust).

Questions:

Should I use different paint for all 3 types of surface? Assume yes (all in deep ocean or similar colour).

• Weathershield seems to be for exterior (wall, etc.)
  • Metalshield - seems to be the best option for outdoor metal, works for both the garage door and fence (tried dulux metalshield epoxy enamel to respray door handle the oily smell lasted very long, but it shouldn't be a concern for outdoor parts)...
  • Acratex - acrylic as top coat for the garage door (overkill)?
  • The exterior paint on top of the rendered external wall showed some mould buildup over the years (cannot be removed), thinking of giving it another coat - weathershield matt / low sheen or something else that can last longer (Resistant to UV and mould)?
  • Any additional sealant on top of the last coat?

111.jpg

Any advice will be appreciated. TIA

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint the garage door?

Hello @terrywang

Thank you for sharing your proposed painting project. The choices you've made for each part of your painting project are good. I recommend using the White Knight Rust Guard System as an alternative to your metal garage door. The White Knight set has a four-part system but because you have a new garage door, you will only need the primer and the paint.

The Weathershield paint from Dulux has excellent UV blockers and should provide adequate protection for your walls. I suggest using a low sheen for the finish. Using a matt finish attracts more dirt and is very difficult to clean. If all the paint materials your using are marked "for exterior use" you won't need an extra coating on top of the last coat. It sounds like a fantastic painting project. Any updates you can provide about your painting project would be much appreciated.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint

Let me tag our experienced members @2Belindas and @Brad for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Is the door zink coated? I am more familiar with galv that needs an etch primer when it is new to help the paint stick.

I have used paving paint on the strip of concrete for someone else and it is holding up okay, the previous paint was for patio and paths rather than driveways and had lifted in places where driven over.

I notice she who speaks Mandarin has a heightened sence of smell.

terrywang
Building a Reputation

@Brad Thanks for the reply. I don't know if the door is Zinc coated, I only know there is BHP steel logo on it and it's pretty old. See attached photo.

In terms of sens of smell, I am pretty sensitive to the smell of oil based paint, most likely coded in DNA :wink:

dor.jpg

Hi @terrywang,

Can you confirm for us whether this is a new uncoated steel door, or are you re-painting an already painted door? I note you mentioned initially that you "Need to paint the new tilt garage door (steel)", but then go on to say later that the door is "pretty old".

We need to know because there is a different painting procedure between coating bare zinc/gal steel and coating over a previously painted surface.

Mitchell

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

As an old door it has had a chance to weather so no need to etch prime it, the frame has the old school galvanised look.

I think sensitive smell is hard coded in too, I can't match in any way her indoors sence of smell.

terrywang
Building a Reputation

HI Metchell,

I want to paint the external facing side of the garage door (which is that ocean blue look), it was previously painted so I am not sure if I need to sand it before putting another coat of rust guard on.

@terrywang,

Thanks for that. So we are painting onto a painted surface, not a steel surface. 

You need to check to see whether the existing paint is compromised and powdery. Run your fingers along the paint. If a blue dust coating is left on them, you need to prep the surface. Preparing the surfaces requires you to give it a scrub down with soapy water. Then, take a Scotch-Brite 155 x 100mm Heavy Duty Scourer Pad and go over the entire surface. Flush with clean water and wait for it to dry. Once it's dry, try the fingers test again. Continue this process until no paint residue is left on your fingers. Do one final wash with sugar soap before flushing with clean water and waiting for it to dry. You'll then be free to use the White Knight Rust Guard Grey Quick Dry True Bite Primer Paint and then your topcoat.

If no paint is left on your fingers initially, I'd just suggest you give the door a good scrub down with sugar soap and then flush the residue off with clean water and wait for it to dry. You can then apply your primer and topcoat.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

terrywang
Building a Reputation

Thanks for the tips Mitchell.

No blue dust left on fingers when run thru the paint. But I'll give it a scrub down with soapy water (pressure washer rinse) anyway before start painting.

Sounds good, @terrywang. Keep us updated and reach out if you need further assistance.

I can't wait to see some pictures of your finished results.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects