Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a piece of new ceiling wall

Maymay
Building a Reputation

How to replace a piece of new ceiling wall

027D4CB8-4CAC-4563-8A3C-B1634C56C52F.jpeg

Hi Bunnings team

Could you give me some advice to replace a piece of ceiling wall And please step by step and what product I have to use 

Thank you
Maymay

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace a piece of new ceiling wall

Hi @Maymay,

Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist. The products you'll need to repair the ceiling are- Gyprock 530 x 530 x 10mm Mini Plaster Repair PanelBuildex 6-18 x 30mm Zinc Plated Bugle Head Plasterboard Screws 100 PkUni-Pro 48mm x 20m Plasterboard Jointing TapeFlexovit 100mm x 5m 120 Grit Timber Sandpaper RollUni-Pro Cork Sanding BlockGyprock CSR 2.5kg Cornice CementPoly 38mm Putty KnifeCraftright Fluoro Retractable Utility Knife and a piece of 42 x 19mm x 1.8m Premium Grade Dressed Pine.

First, you'll need to cut two pieces of timber slightly longer than the hole is wide. Place these two pieces of timber up inside the hole so they are resting on the inside edge. Screw through the plaster-boards face side and into the timber. This will provide a solid surface for you to attach the new piece of ceiling.

Measure and then transfer the dimensions of the cut-out onto the new piece of plaster. Cut the plaster out with a utility knife to the desired size. Place the plaster-board up to the ceiling and push it against the timber pieces. Use further screws to attach the cut-out piece to the timber.

Once you have installed the new piece of ceiling you'll need to use the jointing tape to cover the gaps. Cut the jointing tape to size and apply it to the gaps on all four sides. After the jointing tape has adhered, you will mix up the cornice cement as per the instructions and apply it to the area with the putty knife. You can spread it further out then the jointing tape to get a smooth transition into the ceiling.

When the cornice cement is dry then you can sand it back flat with the sanding block and sandpaper. You might need to do an additional topcoat so everything looks and feels smooth. You are then able to undercoat and paint the area.

Here a step-by-step D.I.Y tutorial on How to fix a hole in a plaster wall which I trust you'll find helpful in the repair process. Your job is slightly more work than filling a simple hole, but the methods will still be helpful.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions on the process.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Maymay
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell

Thank you for your awesome advice, I fixed 

Regards

Maymay 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Well done @Maymay. It would be great to see a few photos of what you've done so that other community members in future can learn from it. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects