Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal and renovate a shed?

LJW
Finding My Feet

How to seal and renovate a shed?

2B37F809-2802-4189-99B5-F4FD84A48559.jpeg

23FA1F0B-EF68-41D3-B5FD-83C38456DD04.jpeg

66505D56-015B-44D4-BAE2-C0F094932DE2.jpeg

02D65545-4137-4FA9-B7F9-5760EDD077F7.jpeg

   

Hi All,

I appreciate this has probably already been a post but I can’t seem to find it. So I have a shed which for years was just storage, now I want to seal it, make it watertight and turn it into a gym for my son. Questions are, what do I seal the gaps between shed and slab with, what would I line it with, how would I put a window in it? Many thanks for all you’re wonderful ideas and suggestions.

9B7D904E-DAC3-41B4-BA80-80835B8F6DCE.jpeg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to seal and renovate a shed?

Hi @LJW 

There are a bunch of  choices around you  project no rights or wrongs there.

If I am seeing right the floor looks lower at the door than the ground  outside.  If so you will need a drain in front of the door lower than the concrete slab to drain water away  that same drain may suit other walls too.

For the walls  gaps i would use aluminium flashing screwed to the inner walls draining at a slight angle out and off the slab edge.

Hopefully that will stop water.

Why do you want a window? light? or you have a view out there.   Considered  polycarbonate sheet sections to  let light in  easier than a window slightly. My  body not seen the inside of a gym  for a while arnt they mostly big mirrors for  that authentic look.

Sunlite10 Twinwall x 2.4m Clear Polycarbonate Roofing  I/N: 1010589 $114.50

https://www.bunnings.com.au/sunlite10-twinwall-x-2-4m-clear-polycarbonate-roofing_p1010589

A cheap but good window could be polycarbonate panel window (several  choices)  with a frame  made from colour bond fence frames to encapslate sharp cut  steel painted edges .  Buy a second hand  ex reno window mount it on the fence  post rails.

Easy to line the  shed  with wall panels as desired.

So i hope many more suggestion comin your way too.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @LJW,

Great to see you have already received some great advice from @Jewelleryrescue.

We've had a number of previous discussions about how to seal a shed. Let me point you in the direction of a few:

Hope all the advice shared in those conversations will be helpful to you. 

I'm sure one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @EricL will also be happy to share his thoughts. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @LJW

It's great that you've received lots of great recommendations about sealing and renovating your shed. But before you begin putting anything inside your shed, I suggest doing a leak test of the roof. I propose cleaning off all the dirt and debris currently on your shed roof. Once the roof is clean, I recommend getting your garden hose and spraying the top of the shed and looking inside to see if water leaks through the roof or travels on the interior of the wall of the shed.

Mark the leak with a marker so that you know exactly where they are coming from. I suggest using Selleys 290ml Clear Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant to seal off the leaks from the top of the roof. For leaks that travel in between the roof sheeting and make their way inside, I recommend using Consolidated Alloys 50mm x 3m Weatherproof Byute Flash Flashing Tape to stop water bridging between sheets and finding a way inside your shed. 

When you've fixed the roof, my next suggestion is to examine the floor and look carefully if you are getting water ingress from the outside coming under your shed wall. Looking at the pictures you posted I can clearly see the dark spots on your floor indicating that water has settled in that spot. I propose looking around outside to see if the soil has sloped or mounded up to the side of the shed. This needs to be removed so that water will not pool around the base of the shed. Your objective is to make sure that water flows away from the shed instead of towards it.

Whichever sealant you choose to use it's vital that the floor be totally clean and dry. If you have a hard spot that refuses to totally dry off, I suggest using a heat gun to remove the moisture stuck inside the concrete base. Once the shed is secure from the rain you can then begin planning on what you want to put inside the shed.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @LJW 

Bunnings has a smorgasboard of ideas and options  out  there while you water proofing your shed find the look you want and myself and others  can lend there  experiances to  achieve that.

@LJW   you have  lovly blank  canvas of  a shed dont  look at what you have,  look towards what to see in your minds eye,

Thanks @Jewelleryrescue for your suggestions. The shed is on a slab and is higher than the ground, however it does need a clean up and I'll be doing that at the weekend. I was mainly wanting to know what I could seal those larger gaps with where shed meets (or does not meet) concrete. I've read about adhesive neoprene foam rubber tape as a suitable solution, but perhaps that is too costly and I'm not certain if Bunnings stock it. How about the expanding foam, ugly but does it work? Flashing on the roof is a necessity I agree, and possibly gutting too so water will run off and not down the walls. Windows, yes I had though of grabbing a secondhand frame, but if I'm doing that I may just get new doors instead. I can't use wood, unless hardwood, I live in the rainforest so termites are an issue.

I was also interested to know what people line sheds with... have people used a foil insulation to stop condensation and does it work with the queensland weather? If boarding the walls and ceiling have you used plasterboard or ?? And would you line the doors too?

LJW
Finding My Feet

Hi @EricL , thanks for your response.

Actually I had just cleaned the interior of the shed hence the dark damp patches and we have had a substantial bit of rain over the last few days which has indicated the roof, if a bit dirty and full of leaves, is thankfully not leaking. phew!. I will double check and do appreciate the products you have recommended.

Hi @LJW  

Its great the slab raised

Aluminium flashing would be a quick simple  inexpensive  water barrier see  diagram  to help visualize. and not termite food.

a shed.jpg

Install double foil  garage insulation rolls find it on ebay  or Use foil  board from bunnings be mind full of power and fitting foil  products. I can not vouch the re the condensation factor are you  experiancing it in current shed? Yes then ventalaion required.

Wall panels  example attached or you can use ply and wall paper it. paint it but you ideally would use  timber rails to  fix to.

Easycraft 2400 x 1200mm 9mm Lining Panel White MRMDF Primed Regency  I/N: 0330827 $90

https://www.bunnings.com.au/easycraft-2400-x-1200mm-9mm-lining-panel-white-mrmdf-primed-regency_p033...

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects