Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal the exposed edge of a driveway?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

How to seal the exposed edge of a driveway?

I haven't done this before. So you can see the soil under the concrete driveway was washed away

Step 1: Remove the weeds

Step 2: Mix the mortar with water.I have brought this one, is it the right one?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dingo-fast-set-mortar-3kg_p0760518

Step 3: Use a trowel to patch it.

Is that all? Any useful tips? Maybe I should have a water sprayer when I want to smoothen it while it starts getting dried ?

Thank you in advance

20240301_124206.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal the exposed edge of a driveway

I'd suggest doing this in two stages @ivanptr. At first, just try to fill the void under the slab. Once that mortar has begun to set, apply a second coat over the top. This second coat is the one you want to smooth out. Trying it all in one step might allow the mix to slump and cause issues. A little misted water will certainly help smooth the surface.

To finish the area, you might like to attach a piece of Merbau decking board to the front face, giving you a neat and attractive finish. The board can be attached with masonry screws. To get a good fitment, you might need to chip away some excess concrete sticking out from the edge of the slab with a masonry chisel and club hammer.

The mortar mix you have purchased is the correct product.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects