Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal the gap between garage door and floor?

praba
Finding My Feet

How to seal the gap between garage door and floor?

Hi Team,

I got quite a space between garage door and floor which is causing a bit of flooding during rains. Appreciate any help on how I can seal this gap.

thanks

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal the gap between garage door and floor?

Hello @praba 

Thank you for sharing your question about sealing the gap between your garage door and floor. I propose cutting a piece of timber paling to the profile of your door and putting Moroday 5m Black Self-Adhesive Special Weather-Seal on the edge.

I then suggest placing the piece of timber in front of your doorstep and anchoring it in place with screws and sealing the edges with silicone. I suggest painting it a bright colour such as yellow or orange, this is because it will be a tripping hazard and must be very visible when walking over it. 

When the door pushes against the timber profile it should provide an adequate seal. I've placed a sample sketch below to give you an idea of what it looks like. Please note that the sizes are for reference only. Please adjust them to your needs.

Let me call on our experienced members @homeinmelbourne, @Dave-1 and @Remarka6le for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to seal the gap between garage door and floor?

Good Evening @praba 

I have a question :smile:

When it rains do you get ground surface water running into the garage and/ or water from down the door running into the garage? Looking at the picture I really liek @EricL's suggestion as I think it would work in a big way, the second part is if you get water from the pathway/yard that wants to hang out in the garage as well?

I was looking for a rubber threshold in Bunnings but couldnt find anything. It may be an idea to walk down the rubber aisle and have a look for something along the threshold lines. I did find this DECO Black DecoDeck Cover Strip Not sure if it would work but if you installed it with a rubber strip under it (or a lot of silastic) across the doorway It would give a little bit of a low damn to stop water running through the doorway (If it does)

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects