Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal tilt garage door?

terrywang
Building a Reputation

How to seal tilt garage door?

Hello all,

Help (advice) needed, TIA.

Recently replaced all fittings and timber jambs for the main garage door, it is a tilt door (around 4.2*2.1m), can't change to sectional or roller due to not enough headroom. After the job (pretty well done) the height has been adjusted, there are gaps on the top and bottom. Have been doing research to find good products to seal the gaps to avoid dusts / insects entering the garage.

I've done some research, decided to use brush.

A few options:

1. tilt door flexi-seal kit, looks decent but it'll add additional elements to the door exterior (different colour, ruin the look)  https://cleverseal.com/collections/tilt-door/products/flexi-seal-for-tilt-doors

terrywang_3-1637104464313.jpeg

top gap 45 angle track works fine

terrywang_4-1637104503993.jpeg

side and bottom design just ruins the appearance of the door... So the whole kit is not an option.

2. Universal Aluminium track with D shaped rubber (it is supposed to be used for bottom - I reckon it'll just work fine for the top gap if it is big enough) https://www.amazon.com.au/M-D-Building-Products-87668-Universal/dp/B0006VAM1K/ 

terrywang_1-1637104407065.jpeg

terrywang_2-1637104418410.jpeg

Works, but comes from US (20 USD for shipping...) and may not be the best option

3. strip brush + aluminum holder (Australian made)

https://www.busybee.com.au/product/4mm-garage-door-brush-seal-nylon66/

Looks decent, will work for both top (45 degree holder) and bottom (H track)

4. door damn (garage floor)

terrywang_8-1637104950389.jpeg

As of today, I've placed an order for a door dam style garage seal, will order the option 3 (45 degree) and give it ago. Any advice will be appreciated.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to seal tilt garage door?

Hi terrywang,

Upon looking at your door, how well does this need to be sealed?

Does it need to be water-tight, does it need to be air-tight?

From what I can see, it seems to be quite well sealed as it is.

What are you looking to do here?

By all means, let us know what you'd like to do with this and we can help you sort this out.

Cheers,

Mike T.

terrywang
Building a Reputation

The attached photos are not my garage but an example used by a tile door seal kit (provider - clever seal).

My garage door looks like this after the most recent repair job, there are gaps on the top / bottom and sides.

111.jpg

Hi @terrywang,

It looks like you have investigated many of the options available to you. The only thing I could suggest would be to install timber trim at the top to close the gap and so it's easier to seal. Your sides are looking pretty good. Is there much of a gap there? Tilt doors are fairly notorious for having gaps around them and, because of their tolerances being reasonably loose, it's hard to get a good seal. I note you've mentioned that the gaps were introduced after the recent repair job. What happened there?

I'm a fan of the D-shaped seals, and we have this Moroday 20mm x 3m D-Shape Rubber stick-on version. We also have quite an extensive range of rubber seals which could be used. 

If you have any specific questions, I trust our knowledgeable members would be happy to assist.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
terrywang
Building a Reputation

Thanks Mitchell.

I'll buy a sample kit from Busy Bee and see how those various holder + brush can best work for sealing the top and sides.

In the meantime, I've already used some D-shape rubber seal to seal the side and some other gaps, work out pretty well, it even softens the touch when the door closes.

In case you missed it, we have the brush garage door seal @terrywang. It appears to be substantially cheaper than the site you're mentioning.

Please keep us updated. I'm sure everyone will be keen to see your results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @terrywang 

last week I sealed a mates panel lift garage door. I used the 75 mm door seal brush from Bunnings , which I attached on the inside to the top of the panel door. It worked a treat. The sides where a bit more challenging. Ended up using 25 mm wide foam rubber door seal from Bunnings.it has an adhesive backing so just stuck it straight onto the wall. I also replaced the weather seal on the bottom of the door  and attached the rubber floor seal to the garage floor. All in all it all worked out pretty well.at my own home , I have a roller door, which of course had the usual gap at the top . I installed the 75 mm brush , now no more gap. I recommend going with the brush system availabile at Bunnings and for those tricky sides , consider the foam rubber seal,

cheers kel

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects