Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop tilt garage door slamming in windy conditions?

MD83
Just Starting Out

How to stop tilt garage door slamming in windy conditions?

Why do strong gusts of wind push open (4-6 inches) My Tilt Garage Door then causing it to then slam shut?  💨 🤨

• Chamberlain CS60EVO door opener
  • I have reset travel and force settings
  • Chain isn't loose and runs as should
  • Tension belt spring thingy is released to correct 36-38mm

For now we've been putting a crowbar in the door (if we are home and able to). 

To #1- Prevent damage to the door etc 

#2- Waking/Annoying our neighbours

#3 So we can sleep through windy nights without being woken all hours of the night 🥱🧟‍♀️

Any help would be great please & thankyou, but keeping in mind we would like it to stay closed/function correctly without putting a manual lock on the inside as other family members are then restricted from using the door.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop tilt garage door slamming in windy conditions?

Hi @MD83,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

It's possible that the large spring at the top of your garage door has lost tension allowing the door to move when it shouldn't.

Having read through the manual for your particular door opener, I believe you have exhausted all D.I.Y. options for a repair on this one. It may be time to contact a professional garage door service local to your area for advice on this. 

I'd suggest looking for someone in your area using a service such as Hipages or True Local.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects