Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is exterior paint safe to use on indoor furniture?

nerea
Cultivating a Following

Is exterior paint safe to use on indoor furniture?

Hey there,

I'm refurbishing some of my indoor furniture.  I've used diferent tipes of paint and last time I got recomended to try using cabots deck and exterior paint on the indoor furniture. I've tried it and its very nice, I actually like everything about it but now I'm worry about if its safe to use on indoor furniture as in if will have some harmful chemicals that the paint would relise over time. Thanks 

nerea
Cultivating a Following

Re: Is exterior paint safe to use on indoor furniture?

Hey Mitchell,

Apreciate your time.

Well I haven't tried oil based basically because I got two little kids(2 and 4) and they usually"help me out" with my progects so I avoid using oil as the cleaning can be a nightmare. I can't do much without them. As well cleaning the brushes is not easy.

Its not that I didn't like the enamels...its that I found this one a lot easier. I've tried an outdoor paint(don't remember which one) in the past and didn't like it...but this deck and wood one its awesome. I just went today to get a diferent color for.my next progect.

Looking for sanders or way of sanding (that its not by hand) that will get into small cruises in the furniture. Any recommendations?

Ryobi is the tool brand that my mum @hazesnow uses (and so do I as I do most of my work in her shed lmao), and there's a really nice one she has that kinda looks a bit like an iron.

She'd probably be able to give you the model number for that one, but It's an 18V brushless one with a port for dust extraction or a filter afaik. It's pretty awesome! 

Hi @nerea,

I believe this Ryobi One+ 18V Corner Sander - Skin Only is similar to the sander @oheyitsbeano is recommending. There's also the Ryobi 180W Multipad Sander that has a fold-out finger pad for detail or corner areas. Multitools also have the ability to detail sand and would be worth considering. There's currently a conversation going on in the discussion: What's your favourite tool?. It's between some of our very knowledgeable members @Noyade, @Brad and @TedBear about multitools and their ability to detail sand. You might like to join in.

Although these tools are considered detailed sanders, there's a limit to their ability. If you have some very tight areas and mouldings to sand, then a Dremel has many attachments that you might find handy.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @nerea , just to add to the conversation... safety isn't the issue if you follow the advice given already about possible strong fumes, but be aware that outdoor paint often goes on thicker than indoor paints, so we need to take a bit more care to ensure that we don't leave deep brush marks. They don't show up so much when the paint is used in harsher light in the outdoors, and we don't tend to scrutinise the surfaces so closely outside as we do with furniture.  I suspect that you may have already dealt with that issue yourself by now. 

nerea
Cultivating a Following

@MitchellMcAwesome advise. I'm looking onto them already. So many choices

Thank you very much 

nerea
Cultivating a Following

Hi @TedBear Thanks for your replay

I just want to say that some how this specific paint doesn't go thicker at all. I've tried one in the past of outdoor in indoor and I did not like it at all...one of the reasons was way too thick, droopy and I find it to chip very easy.

But this cabots deck and wood one its actually very thin,dryes so quick, and leaves a very smooth texture I can't help but love it. Way better than anything I used before. I wasn't sure at all about it when the lady at bunnings recomend it to me, but she had given me good advise for another things in the past so decide to trust her...and well, what can I say. And as well this is self priming which is awesome I got 3 little ones under 4 and very minimal time for progects which I love doing and they are good for my mental health. 

Any advise its apreciate it I'm doing this as a hobbie and only started a year ago so very minimal experience 😁

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects