Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laneway fence frequently hit by reversing cars

eleni
Finding My Feet

Laneway fence frequently hit by reversing cars

ideas for laneway fence running full length of property apart from a 3.5m living room wall and a garage door (the latter also hit by cars reversing from properties opposite and needing replacing!). Its base is also rusting out. The fence immediately adjoins a busy lane (there is no footpath). Fence cannot be too high as it faces south and is about a metre from the house. That side of house has windows to bedroom, lounge and kit/dining so light required. But it needs to block out some traffic noise, take plants/vines on inside to make 'view' more attractive to residents, carry warning to drivers (perhaps reflective paint stripes?) and be amenable to fixing in sections perhaps when (inevitably) hit. Also should we install camera to identify drivers? Suggestions welcome. (Sorry cannot upload pix)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: ideas for laneway fence frequently hit by reversing cars

Hello @eleni

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about ideas for your laneway fence from being hit by reversing cars.

One of the best ways to stop cars from reversing into your fence is to install a Builders Edge 1650mm Wheel Stopper. Cars reversing will immediately know that they have reached the limit of their reversing space when the wheel of their car hits the stopper. I suggest using Builders Edge Safety Rubber Corner Protector to be attached to the fence itself so that drivers will have a visual cue when to stop.

I recommend using Croc Grip 10m x 50mm White And Red Reflective Safety Tape for nighttime warning. The reflective tape will provide enough warning to the driver that they cannot reverse any further. 

If the fence is made of timber, I suggest using standard 100 x 16mm WAT 1.2m Pine Fence Paling to repair any damage. However, if the posts have been tipped out of alignment, I suggest digging it out and re-posting it, and then carry out the repairs. I propose using a 200mm Dwarf Bottlebrush - Callistemon viminalis "Little John" as a hedge for your fence.

Let me tag our experienced members @tom_builds and @JDE for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tom_builds
Making a Splash

Re: Laneway fence frequently hit by reversing cars

Hi @eleni,

Welcome to the workshop!

For ease of repairing in sections a colourbond steel fence is probably the way to go, but it's sound proofing wouldn't be great. That could be improved by the addition of vines etc. as you mentioned, and you could easily add a wire trellis frame to enable climbing plants to  cover your fence.

On the other hand the best noise reduction will come from a brick fence, and an unpainted brick wall lends itself to many climbing plants without any additional framework needed (like creeping fig or ivy)

I would suggest that you may need to prioritise between ease of repairing and  functionality of the fence, and then once you have determined which is more important you will have a better idea of what type of fence will.work best for you.

Best of luck!

eleni
Finding My Feet

Re: ideas for laneway fence frequently hit by reversing cars

Hi Eric. Love the idea of the wheel stoppers ! But I dont know if the council would like me installing the builders edge wheel stoppers in a public laneway - would love to but, as well as a concern re council, also think neighbours might also identify them as a trip hazard... they walk along the laneway. Houses and flats further along the laneway (built later than this 1910 house) have a footpath that must have been taken from what would have been the backyards of the original houses (the new ones occupy the backyards of earlier homes and open onto the laneway).  But I will go to / approach council and see what they think. Thank you for your suggestions.

PS The original fence is corrugated iron. May have to replace rusting garage so will probably match the two. Council havse advised that even to resheet the existing framework I would have to put in a building application and they would have to approve the material. Will go there or email to see if they have a list of approved materials so I dont waste time applying for something to be approved that cannot be approved in the first place..... Maybe they have a list available re approved materials (conservation zone)?

Re: Laneway fence frequently hit by reversing cars

Hi Tom. Decisions / decisions / decisions.... who thought it would be this difficult? Thank you for your suggestions. I will look further into the alternatives. Brick used to reduce sound seems great but it could mean expensive damage if hit by cars.... so more I need to think some more .... other projects take precedence at the moment (replacing a bedroom ceiling, for example, and installing fan exhausts to bathroom and laundry) so at least I have a bit ot time to think....

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects