Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

One way of creating white wash on wood

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

One way of creating white wash on wood

Hello to all you DIY addicts 

This is my first time posting in discussion so bare with me, but happy to be apart of a page that respects every ones DIY ideas and creations.

thought I'd share one way of creating a white wash beach look on wood/Pallet wood. I did water down some white paint that I had for the house, and used a scraper to spread the paint until I get this look, 

What are some other ways? Of interpreting other colours like blue and black for giving a washed look White Wash

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: One way of creating white wash on wood

Thanks for posting @LePallet.

For people who aren't very bright like me, could you please explain a little further about the process is that you used? 

Was it just watering down paint then using a scraper to apply. That's it? How much water did you add? And what type of paint? And just one coat? 

Thanks again.

Vicki65
Cultivating a Following

@Kermit wrote:

Thanks for posting @LePallet.

For people who aren't very bright like me, could you please explain a little further about the process is that you used? 

Was it just watering down paint then using a scraper to apply. That's it? How much water did you add? And what type of paint? And just one coat? 

Thanks again.

@Kermit  please dont  say your not bright, hearing a new process & Imagining can be hard. I learn by visual examles, you can google ' paint whitewashing" and w as watch it on Youtube. It's.as easy as the writer states. Its trial & error, using scrap wood, dilute paint, wipe ofd with a cloth. The colour comes out even better with wax or sealer. 

So glad I discovered this site, we get ideas then research more.  Thank you for for your time. Thank gosh for editing.

Barbdwyer
Just Starting Out

I think this whitewash works well with any white paint.... but I struggle with what to finish the wood with.  I have found the chalk type products wax.. not great to prevent cup ring stains. Any suggestions? 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Barbdwyer. It's sensational to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Have you tried a sealer similar to our Rust-Oleum 887ml Matt Clear Chalked Protective Topcoat? It was designed for use over our Rust-Oleum Chalked range, but would also be suitable over water-based paint.

For a surface which coffee cups are placed on, I would suggest Cabot's Water Based Matt Cabothane Clear Polyurethane Varnish. It's suitable for furniture and is harder wearing than the chalked topcoat.

I recently kept to a budget and used Timber Protect 1L Satin Oil Based One Coat Clear Varnish on a coffee table I built. This oil-based coating was placed over a water-based paint wash effect and is still holding up perfectly six months later.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

2.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects