Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting garage roller door with spray cans vs spray guns

Murali2888
Finding My Feet

Painting garage roller door with spray cans vs spray guns

Hi All,

I am planning to paint my single garage roller door and need suggestions whether spray cans would be a good option compared to spray guns (looking to buy Dulux RapidFinish Paint Spray Gun). I don't see further use of spray guns after the job is done and so a bit reluctant to go with that option. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting garage roller door with spray cans vs spray guns

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Murali2888. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for you for the question.

Although you could complete this project with spray cans, I believe you would get better results with a spray gun because of the large surface area. Alternatively, you could complete this job with a fine nap roller.

What condition is the door paint in at the moment and would it be possible for you to upload an image for us?

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks MitchellMc for responding.

The door is in a pretty good shape without any major issues. Uploaded few photos for you to check.

F7D822CD-7356-4A78-AA31-B459DDF1F25F.jpeg

7FCB0D0C-28AE-43DF-A2A0-D03B8D21916D.jpeg

06570E21-825E-4402-838E-6F446B85E50A.jpeg

@Murali2888,

Run your fingers over the paint to see if a powdery residue is left on your fingers. If so, give the door a good rub down with a green scourer and sugar soap. Flush the sugar soap off with clean water and let dry. Once done, you should be able to paint with spray cans. Take your time and do several light coats instead of a couple of heavy ones.

Keep us updated and please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you. Will keep

you posted

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Murali2888 

I vote to get the spray gun. You can use the gun for so many, many, many more diy and non diy projects in the future! Anything that looks like it needs to be painted? Bring out the spray gun!

Cheers!

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects