Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting the already painted garage floor

Sugar
Having an Impact

Painting the already painted garage floor

Happy new year to all of you.

I am trying to use my break from work and thought of painting my garage. I cleaned the garage. This garage has been painted.

already. This is not a fresh concrete floor. I would like to add flakes on the floor. Someone said I cannot add flakes (like in the second picture) on the floor which has already been painted. Is there any way I can add flakes? Also, after painting the  floor, how long it is recommended before we can start parking the car?

20210101_071745.jpg

1442580874277.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Painting the already painted garage

Hi @Sugar

Apologies for the slow reply. You'll have noticed that our community is a little quieter than usual at the moment as many members are having a well-earned break, including our resident Bunnings expert @MitchellMc. I will ask Mitchell to give you a hand when he gets back in a week. Apologies for the delay in the meantime. 

Have you seen this popular project? - Epoxy garage floor by @maknilsin 

Bunnings also has a helpful how-to video about How To Apply Epoxy To A Garage Floor - I will add it below.

Hope that helps.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@Sugar - my garage floor was a little bit newer than yours looks, but as per the video @Jason popped into this thread a clean up of the floor should be all you need to do. 

Once the epoxy and the flakes are supplied it was recommended to wait about 24 hours before putting your car back in the garage, and from memory you need your garage open for quite some time after applying it to let it all air out.

Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out, a few years later and mine still looks a treat! 

@maknilsin @Jason 

I was so free and impatient that I ended up doing this using the following product. 

20210104_104125.jpg

The final output looks like this. 

20210104_104106.jpg

The patches you see on the floor is where there were cracks and lines on the floor like this: 

Inked20210104_104116(0)_LI.jpg 

These cracks and lines I can still see even after applying multipurpose filler and double coat. 

Since it was already painted floor before I started this new paint, I was told that I cannot add flakes since it is not fresh concrete. 

Is it still possible to add flakes (always liked them)? Is there anything I can add to plain paint to make it look nice. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Sugar,

I would encourage you to investigate epoxy rather than paint as that seems to be the finish you are looking for.

Thanks,

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Sugar,

The crack you have circled in red in the image does not appear to have had any filler applied. By its very nature, the filler should have filled the crack to be flush with the concrete's surface. Can you please advise what filler you used, how long you let it cure before painting, and if you filled the cracks fully then sanded back to a flush surface?

Are the areas I've circled in blue the filler? Can I ask if you have used the filler on top of the paint to fill cracks you noticed after painting? If not, do you know what the blue circled areas are?

As Jason has mentioned, it sounds like you are after an epoxy paint. We carry a range of Dymark epoxy coatings that have flaked options already in them. After speaking with their technical assistance team, unfortunately, it appears you would have to remove the oil-based paint as their product is not compatible with it.

Please let me know if you need further help or had questions.

Mitchell

Marks.pngmarks2.png

@MitchellMc  Yes, the areas circled in blue color are the filler which I found before doing the floor painting. 

I used this product to fill the cracks. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/uni-pro-500g-multi-purpose-interior-filler_p1210281?gclid=CjwKCAiAouD_BR...

The cracks were not very big but were visible. This product helped to remove the cracks. I sanded the surface to flush with the actual floor surface and then painted. I am happy with the final result. Thank you all for your advice. 

floor.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects