Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Telescopic (2panels) driveway gate

Onearmman
Growing in Experience

Telescopic (2panels) driveway gate

Hi DIY er

My driveway(4.2mtr) is on a steep slope with a narrow frontage fence(3mtr). Was told will need a telescopic type of gate which sound right but questions to those already installed one please

1. Any maintenance or safety concerns with those moving parts? Are they troublesome to be kept in good order ?

2. Gate Panels: Are they specially made panels or could i just purchase two standard gate panels from Bunnings and then add on telescopic gate Kits?;

Thank you

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Telescopic (2panels) driveway gate

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Onearmman and thanks for jumping in with this interesting question.

This discussion might be helpful. I'm hoping @MitchellMc and @redracer01 will be able to suggest some options for you.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Onearmman,

Were you planning on D.I.Y.ing this installation? We supply the Richmond Automatic Sliding Gate Opener which uses Richmond 4 x 1m Bolt On Gate Gear RacksRichmond Bolt Down Gate Track 3m and Richmond 78mm Bottom Mount Gate Track Wheels. This system can be used to create telescoping gates, but it needs to be set up to do so. That would require two Richmond Bolt Down Gate Tracks 3m once for each gate and Richmond 78mm Bottom Mount Gate Track Wheels to suit. The gates will also need to be modified so that the first panel pulls out the second panel and subsequently closes it as well. 

This system can have gates that weigh up to 1200kg and is suitable for a wide variety of different styles and shapes, including our standard gate panels. It is advised that even with the standard sliding gates you seek professional assistance with installation, if in doubt. A telescoping system would be something that needs a particular amount of care and modification to get working just right.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Onearmman
Growing in Experience

Hi,Michell,

Thanks for the reply.

Is this the whole list or just part of it?

@Onearmman,

That's all the parts required for making a sliding gate. Depending on how you set it up, you might require a Richmond Dual Roller Gate GuideRichmond Gate End Stop, and Richmond 80mm Gate Stopper. Here are all the associated parts with the sliding system. Any additional parts needed for a telescopic system, including tabs to contact the second panel, would need to be fabricated.

You might like to have a read through the motor's installation instructions, which will give you an idea of what is required.

Mitchell

Onearmman
Growing in Experience

Thank you @MitchellMc 

Went down to Bunnings and was told they donot have any gate frame over 1.2 mtr . We were suggested to goto one of your competitor .Will check around.

Thanks

What size gates were you looking to create @Onearmman? The Fortress gate system should allow you to create gate frames up to 2100mm high x 1800mm wide. For instance, if you were to use the Fortress Gates 1650mm Fence Frame End and Fortress Gates 1600mm Horizontal And Diagonal Gate Rails to make two gates 1650 x 1600mm, they should be sufficient to cover the 3-meter gap. You'll be able to clad them however you wish. 

Was the 1.2-meter a height limitation on our pre-fabricated gates, such as the Protector Aluminium 1470 x 1200mm Custom Flat Top Driveway Gate? If so, we can have Protector custom make you any size gate you want; just see our helpful team at your local store's Special Orders desk with your gate dimensions.

Please let me know if you need any assistance placing your order.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects