Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Timber framed double garage and workshop build

Seaton
Having an Impact

Timber framed double garage and workshop build

IMG_1266.JPG

G’day one and all,

Ive just come across this site - how awesome is it!  

Anyway i’ll kick off my fist post with my 12x6 timber framed double garage and workshop I’ve been building over the last three weeks with my friend who’s a retired builder.  It’s soooo close to completion I can almost taste it haha

its now at lockup stage and I’ve been scouting around for workshop ideas (and how I found this site)

I’ll post some photos of the progress so far.  However I’m looking for inspiration for my workshop layout now everything’s at lockup.

Power was just connected last week so have been busy this wet and windy weekend in WA in getting all power points laid out ready for wiring. 

Bunnings timber arrives and studs are cutBunnings timber arrives and studs are cut75768216-63B7-4739-BB46-D2CBE94CF3C8.jpeg

Re: Workshop build nearing completion Lighting

What a   fantastic project, you probally already know, but, if not perhaps adding some flat white paint to the ceiling, this will reflect the lighting downward and enhance a brighter area, but if you want it darker just use black paint.  

Re: Workshop build nearing completion Lighting

Many thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your knowledge @bluesparkjohn. We look forward to seeing more of your posts soon. Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Welcome to the Workshop community,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Workshop build nearing completion

@BIM_Engineer i hear you. When I originally had this and our stage two extension quoted by a builder it was 110K for shell only on the garage and the 2x1 connecting to our main house, hence why the diy as much as I can route.  We could not have afforded it. 

i count myself very fortunate to have an experienced retired builder (82) on hand to help and impart his wisdom to me and I throughly enjoy working with him as I learn so much and feels like I’m doing an apprenticeship again (At 51) he’s been on hand throughout our renovations over the last number of years.  His input and suggestions into the design has made this build something I’m very proud of without having to make any compromises.  I know I would be very reluctant to tackle anything like this myself without his help and knowledge. He makes it look so very easy.   Plus and he still gets trade price on everything - bonus!

It also worth having contacts in the building industry and not to mention don’t be afraid to shop around,  I had vast ranging quotes for my slab and earth works.  I ended up asking someone I know who is a project manager in the building industry for someone that they’d recommend for the slab and got it done much cheaper than my quotes I received via hipages.   Also the concreter recommended someone for the earthworks so I ended up saving a heap compared to quotes I had received via hipages 

As I’m an electrician by trade but have let my license lapse as I no longer work in the trade, I found a sparky who was willing to submit tickets on my behalf. So a lot of savings there as well.  

Also don’t be afraid to ask for a cash price...cash is still king

Progress update:

weather seals went in on the doors and very timely as storms came through on the weekend here in the west, so no more rags stuffed under the doors. 

Plywood went up on the front of the workshop on Saturday. Original plan was to paint it but after going up we’ve decided to leave as is and just coat with a clear varnish to preserve the timber look to match the rest.  

Next weeknd the stairs and safety rails should be going in on the mezzanine 

7A636B44-EB04-4E95-89A0-C7DEECDD9A62.jpeg

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Your DIY project will only work for 5% of the population (basically, those that can do and will figure a way..), the other 95% (Battlers and punters) will say "good on ya, mate"...it's not for me and they may never post back. Reaching out to those isn't easy.

Looks amazin ~  Lucky you hey - to have so much room to play.. hee ha   Love a shed...  20180921_175150.jpg

Seaton
Having an Impact

Re: Timber framed double garage and workshop build

Time for an update.

Workshop lighting finished.  I was happy with my original tests and ran 2x 5m LED 24W strips on every second beam.  I printed up some brackets on the 3D printer to stop it peeling off.

IMG_1394 2.JPGIMG_1393 2.JPGIMG_1392 2.JPG 

Re: Workshop Build nearing completion

also finished the access to the storage area

IMG_1382.JPG

Hi All, this is my first time on here. I am in Red Hill and am in the planning stages of a 22 x 9 shed. I have rough plans but need help. Is there someone that would like a project? I need help, advice and a contractor for the build.
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Hi @tp1 

Welcome to the forum

You will require proper Planing, Engineering and Building Drawings

as well as a building licence.

Here   Large shed

Data

40.5 m3 Concrete

2.30 Tonnes steel

You can

add another 4m bay to bring it to 9m x 20m = 180m2,

Height 3.50m

Unfortunately the materials aren't avalable at Bunnings

Try 

Midalia steel and/or shop around

Seaton
Having an Impact

Hi @tp1

Before I started this project I had no idea of what I needed to do.  However check with your local councils planning and building departments and they will be able to help you step you through the process.   Try and talk to the same person throughout the process from each department, that way they get to know you and you dont have to keep explaining to someone new ech time you talk to them.  

The First thing is planningpermission, you need to find out what you can and cant build on your property, again talk to the planning department, theyll tell you what you need to provide.  Take any of the drawings you have in, even if theyre rough sketches and show them, they can then make suggestions and tell you what youc an and cant do.  

If its a simple / straight forward steel framed build then talk to any of the shed companies, they can help you out with the process as their sheds will already have the engineering/structural done and they know the process and what to submit for the local council.  could probably recommend contractors for you.

If you intend to build it / assemble it yourself and the value of the build is over 20K (as it stands over here in WA) then you will need a home owners building license.  You can do the required courses online, and you'll need this license when submitting the application for your builders permit with the local shire.

Here in WA if the estimated value of the build is over 20K then you need to het ahome owner building license.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects