Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Timber jewellery box - new jointing method

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Timber jewellery box - new jointing method

My how time flys when yah having fun. I have been trying some new joint methods "Isoloc" So i though I would start with another jewellery box because there is always some off cuts laying around. But I have come to a holt. I need some Meranti and can not find any in the local area (Melb North East) anyone with any ideas?

I have also been playing with finishing methods using wet and dry and metho. The dust from the wet and dry mixed with the metho makes a great natural wood filler and will stain the same colour as the timber being worked on. This box has all the knot holes left in for some character.

Some photos so far

IMG_1489.JPGIMG_1490.JPGIMG_1491.JPG

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: new jointing method

Leigh jigs have always looked interesting but a bit out of my price range currently. I have the Rockler box joint jig and I think I can use that and my mitre gauge to cut through dovetails but isoloc is currently out of my league.

Have you seen what Bowens stock in Meranti?
MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Hate to point out the elephant in the parking lot, but Bunnings stocks a great range of meranti.

Bunnings Eltham for a start in Melbournes North East, if you can give me a suburb I can get a closer store.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

r23on
Amassing an Audience

all i can find is skirting and have checked bunnings site with no results however i have found a place in research which i will try, but will check out bunnings on the way through 

thanks pointing out bunnings eltham

r23on
Amassing an Audience

yep i know where you are coming from especially when you have to buy from carbtec and they are the only suppliers in Aus

I didn’t find much joy at Bowen’s either. i need material 220mm wide and skirting keeps cropping up.

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

138mm meranti  is probably as big as you'll find at bunnings. 220mm is pretty large for clear (no knots) meranti.

If you are willing to wait a week or so, might be worth trying to special order something larger.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Bowens Meranti

MERANTI KILN DRIED DAR 235x12mm - MLMKD235012$37.5 /LM
r23on
Amassing an Audience

I have though about it, my daughter is at Thomastown in special orders. I did get some from Diamond Creek Miter10 but they have sold out and only have skirting.

looks like I have to laminate two sections to give me what I want.

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi Brad

Thanks I will take a trip, they are just up the rd in Epping. I may do some laminating to get the size I want

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Went to Bowens today and got what i need Thanks

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects