Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wanting feedback on HomeEntry garage door opener

VulcanJohn
Building a Reputation

Wanting feedback on HomeEntry garage door opener

We have 2 roller doors to our garage, 1 of them motorised and 1 is manually operated. The motor was added to the door that we use 90% of the time. The motor is now on its last legs and regularly stops mid-travel or flashes and bleeps various alarms at the end of a run. Our local door techs have been out and reset everything a couple of times, but now say the motor is on life-support and the door-edge felts are worn out, so a complete new door is needed. (Even though the door actually goes up and down quite easily when operated by hand). The doors have been in place for over 20 years so the original colours have faded, so if we were to replace just one door it would look really odd. Which is why I now have a quote for over $4000 and a possible delay of 10-12 weeks to get new doors fitted! This seems to be madness and an unnecessary expense, so I looked around and found a door opener for sale in Bunnings, the HomeEntry Garage Door Opener, I/N 3962056. At just over $235 this looks like a good way forward, I can even do both doors and still be ahead on price! Has anyone here had experience of fitting and/or using these units? They have a 2-year warranty but I would rather it is easy to fit, well made and durable in the first place so you don't need the warranty. I also see that Bunnings can arrange installation but there is no indication of price, so if anyone can help with a ball-park figure that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wanting feedback on HomeEntry garage door opener

Hello @VulcanJohn

Thank you for sharing your question about the HomeEntry garage door opener. This is a good product for an entry-level garage door opener. In order to give you a better idea of the reputation of the product, I suggest going to the product page on the Bunnings website and moving the page to the bottom to see the ratings and reviews. In that section, you'll see examples of the unit installed and what people think of the product. They put in comments on what's good about the product and what could be improved.

For example, if you were to look at the Chamberlain RollerLift Roller Garage Door Opener, which has more features than the HomeEntry. You'll immediately see it in the star rating that the customers give. It can lift 20kg more than the HomeEntry and it has obstruction reversal technology to keep children and pets safe. It can also send notifications to your phone if it's been left open too long and you can open it even when you're away from your home. Plus it has a 5-year warranty.

The garage door installation cost starts from $259.00, but since some installations require extra parts, these will be added to the overall cost of the installation. I suggest going to your local store and asking the special orders desk for a quote on the installation. I suggest measuring both doors and taking a photo of the current motor installation before proceeding.

Have you thought about putting on a new coat of paint on your garage doors to give them a fresh new look? I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to paint the garage door? by @terrywang

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
VulcanJohn
Building a Reputation

Re: Wanting feedback on HomeEntry garage door opener

Thanks Eric. I will head to my local Bunnings with some photos of the current situation and have a chat with the Special Orders people as you suggested. I'll let you know how it goes.

John

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects