Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is easiest way to shrink Cobra heatshrink tubes?

Marcusfrumpus
Finding My Feet

What is easiest way to shrink Cobra heatshrink tubes?

Is a match a suitable way to cure heat shrink?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how is easiest way to shrinkcobra heat shrink tubes. A match?

Hello @Marcusfrumpus 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about Heat Shrink tubes.

If you are only doing a few jobs with the Heat Shrink it would be practical to use a match. However, if you are doing many jobs I suggest using an Ozito 2000W Variable Temperature Heat Gun. This will allow you to heat shrink the tube more efficiently and uniformly. If you are currently working on a project, please don't hesitate to post. Our members will be more than happy to provide advice and information should you need it.

Please keep us updated.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Match worked well, only needed on two tubes. Incidentally tried on some other plastic  and they melted to fit.

Probably the best is a hair dryer, don't use matches you will just burn the tube rather than shrink it.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great tip there @David_B! I've also found it's a bit hard to get enough heat from a match without burning the heat shrink. 

Many thanks for joining us here at the Bunnings Workshop community. We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden and would encourage you to let us know any time you need assistance or have something to share. I trust you'll also find loads of inspiration and amazing projects to build, which our amazing members have contributed.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects