Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What paint for metal garage door?

David555
Finding My Feet

What paint for metal garage door?

Hello Im looking at repainting our garage door. What paint / what range should I use to do this? Colour is Midnight Sky. Colour bond match. Any help I would appreciate. Regards David 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Paint for Metal Garage door

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @David555. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question on paint selection.

There is no colour called Midnight Sky in the Colorbond range, as far as I can tell. Do you have a colour called Midnight Sky, and you'd like to know the closest Colorbond colour to it?

I'd suggest using an epoxy enamel paint similar to Rust Guard by White Knight. Here's their available colour range. You could choose to use a water-based exterior paint like Dulux Weathershield, but it won't be as hard-wearing.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

140B9E55-440B-4078-AD59-CF47D6BAE834.png

Sorry I meant Nightsky Black. It’s a colourbond colour. Will rust guard by white night have that colour? 

F437D94D-40CD-4230-8D4F-F7E7134A78CC.png

563D178B-7864-4A39-A4EC-4DFE85F1EAF4.png

As you can see the Rustguard colourbond NIGHT SKY is different in colour than the Dulux colour? It’s extremely confusing 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @David555,

You'll find most digital samples of colours will vary from the actual paint. Though, if that's the case here, it's an exceptionally poor representation. I've grabbed a few examples and shown them in the image below. As you can see, even Colorbond illustrates their own colour as two different variations.

Our paint suppliers, and those we don't deal with, digitally illustrate Colorbond Night Sky as a grey. I'm not sure what is going on with this, and it would take further investigation to find an answer. It's obviously not an issue with accurately displaying the black colour on-screen, as these suppliers clearly show a mid-dark grey.

I have spoken to three different Paint Experts in-store, and from their experience, when they mix Colorbond Night Sky up (in any paint), it ends up being black, not grey. Make sure you specify that it's Colorbond Night Sky, not Night Sky, as apparently there is a grey colour called that. However, I don't believe that is the discrepancy with the colours here as the suppliers have labelled this grey CB Night Sky.

We would expect that you get a colour that resembles black and not grey. I've included the Dulux colour card below, which reflects the colour you should also get in White Knight Rust Guard. Just ask the team member to check that the paint they mix is black before taking it home.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchel can you just tell me when I call & order what is the exact paint description I ask for? WHITE KNIGHT RUST GUARD EXPOXY ENAMEL - NIGHTSKY COLOURBOND ? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's the one @David555. The team member should know exactly what you're after.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

I also want to paint my metal garage door for car access. I am just wondering whether there are any needs for preparation like removing the old paint with some chemical or sanding first?

I read your suggestions about using an epoxy enamel paint similar to Rust Guard by White Knight.

- Do I need to use any primer after sanding (if needed)?

- And do I need to mix the enamel paint with any thinner? 

- And would brush painting is best for this job or would you suggest people to invest in air-spray paint gun (I think that's what they called) for this?

Any recommendations are welcomed.

Thank you in advance

Regards,

Martin

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects