Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What timber for a workbench benchtop?

RTDavis
Just Starting Out

What timber for a workbench benchtop?

I am looking for suitable timber to add as workshop bench top. The top will be screwed onto an existing cupboard. I require a piece of timber 2185 x 500/600 wide x 20 (or so) thickness. Has anyone got some suggestions?

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: What timber for a workbench benchtop?

Hi @RTDavis,

I built my workbench from Pine, it is 3500mm long x 600mm wide x 990mm above the floor

I then topped it with 18mm plywood and put an Aluminium capping over the front of it to stop small screws from being lost over the edge.

That used to happen more times than I used to think about, I work with miniscule parts as a sometimes Electronics Technician.

Admittedly, I built the frame and then the benchtop.

barydos
Having an Impact

Hi @EricL, I know this is an old post, but thought I'd ask the question.

I suggest pre-drilling the benchtops and using a cup head bolt and butterfly nut to keep the benchtops attached to the 2x4's while in use.

How exactly are the bolt and nut secured on the benchtop/2x4's? I'm thinking of possibly having this type of temporary sawhorse workbench but having trouble imagining how it's supposed to be secured.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @barydos 

If you are using the 2x4 with the 4' side in a horizontal position, it will be easier to drill through and anchor the benchtop using a cup head bolt. I've placed a sample sketch to give you an idea of how it can be done. I recommend putting one in each corner so that it is fully secure. Make sure to countersink the benchtop so that the hup head sits below the benchtop surface.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working with timber.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sbaipas
Finding My Feet

Hi,

Just a further iteration on this thread please..

Can the SpecRite 1800 x 1200mm 17mm Formply F17  be considered also as i have a steel frame (164cm x 72cm), can this be cut to size pre-sale by Bunnings, with the off-cuts supplied? . I was looking at the design that provides the channel length-wise and was considering using the off-cuts. Would you recommend using the off-cuts? (using bolts to secure them in-place) or would a second type of bench-top be recommended, in paticular because i intend to add a bench-top a vice?

Is there a delivery option?

Thank you very much for your advice.

Regards.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sbaipas. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a benchtop.

Formply would be a suitable top for a workbench. It's durable and has an impact-resistant surface. We do offer a cutting service on formply, and delivery can also be arranged. Using a single piece of formply for your benchtop would be best. The team can cut your 165 x 72cm benchtop from a single piece of 180 x 120cm formply.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thankyou, that's really appreciated!.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

No problems, @sbaipas. Keep us updated on your project, as we'll be keen to see your results.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects