Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Astroturf install for backyard golf course

ammarahs
Just Starting Out

Astroturf install for backyard golf course

Hi Team,

Looking for some advice for the best way to go about laying some AstroTurf for our backyard golf course. Fortunately, we had a professional install the main course a couple months ago, but due to our golf cage arriving late and the uncertainty of its fit/size, we are left with an unfinished patch in our 3x3m cage. 

9C08A70A-1C15-4567-A49E-F448FA6E0A2D.jpeg

3928355B-B8D1-467E-A94A-D78CFA118FB8.jpeg

The area that we are planning on turfing (photo 2) is quite a mess at the moment (mulch, rocks/stones, weeds and lawn). 

C2E11703-7D5F-4A69-85B5-46E9CA307962.jpeg

Here’s my plan on how to tackle the project, any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated:

1. Clearing stones/mulch etc and killing weeds. I will need to kill the section of grass that is inside the cage - how do I do this without killing the healthy lawn on the outside of the cage?

- Will the tree root be an issue under the turf? Unfortunately it will be impossible to move as it’s a mature tree.

2. Crusher dust and levelling - do I need to compact this? Or will raking be sufficient?

3. Laying weed matting and pinning into the ground.

4. Laying the astroturf - please find a photo of the turf that we will be using below. Since this turf isn’t forgiving in terms of not having blades of grass to hide the pins, what type of pins would you suggest to use to pin the turf down?

CA216CEF-1224-47E4-838F-338EE73DBA14.jpeg

Looking forward to any advice or insight you can give into doing this correctly!  
Thanks,

Ammarah

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Astroturf install for backyard golf course

Hello ammarahs

I'm drinking a very large gin and tonic with ice - and looking at your top two photos.

My strategy to your 'problem' would be very different to yours.

I'd be looking at altering the shape of the 'cage' to fit that cornered turfed area.

How are the metal poles connected? Diameters? Out of shot is the top front pole which connects both walls - length? The roof shows slack in that material?

Basically it's a 4 walled cube. I wanna make it a 3 sided affair - and bring it forward - right up to that newly laid turf.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Astroturf install for backyard golf course

Hello @ammarahs

It's great that you've received a fantastic suggestion from @Noyade. However, if you wish to explore the option of installing it near the tree root, the root itself has to be trimmed down. I suggest using an Axe to trim the root down. This will allow you to lay out the base for the cage. I recommend building formwork to keep the crusher dust from getting washed away by the rain. I suggest hiring a compactor to level the area. Using weed mat is a good idea as it will prevent weeds from growing in the cage.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to lay synthetic turf

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects