Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Black smelly bug on orange tree

Anita-S
Finding My Feet

Black smelly bug on orange tree

My Gardner said he can smell this black smelly bug on my orange tree. The that squirts smelly stuff and covers the whole tree. I had to remove my old tree once because of this bug. I don’t want to kill my new orange tree. Is there a natural home remedy to get rid of this bug? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: black smelly bug on orange tree

Hi @Anita-S,

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. It's great to have you join us. 

Could we please trouble you for some photos of your tree, and more importantly, the bug? Then I am more than happy to tag some of our resident expert contributors to the community who might be able to identify the critter and suggest the right course of action.

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Thanks for your reply. I will try to see and picture the bug if I can. They are not visible to me yet. My Gardner could smell them and said he felt the squirt too.

There is another reply from Marty. I will try a neem spray and hope it will kill these bugs before they grow into bigger black scary bugs.

Thanks for sharing this link. I will try a neem spray.

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Anita-S You need to spray when you first notice them, you won't have a great deal of success once they have matured. Another great way to combat bronze orange bug is to make sure your citrus are healthy. They are a sap sucking insect (I believe) and with great number can potentially weaken a tree significantly. Make sure you are supplying enough fertiliser and if the tree is healthy, generally they can survive even with the bug. 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thanks. I will take care of these tips.

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Re: Black smelly bug on orange tree

@Anita-S  I know this post is months old but I was on here looking for something else and spotted your request.  I have found it easy just to go around and pick all of these, what I call stink bugs off the tree and pop in the bin or a plastic back tied up and in the rubbish.   I hate using chemicals and natural sprays can be a bit pricey when your on a tight budget/pension.  I am guessing if its a BIG tree this maybe a bit difficult.

Cheers

This old gal 

dirtygardener
Building a Reputation

Re: Black smelly bug on orange tree

I'd like to add to this as well even though its a bit late. I had many of these on my beautiful lemon tree. The best way I found to get rid of them is to just buy a cheap spray bottle. Fill with water and some dish wash and put the sprayer on jet. I kept the bottle near the tree and just gave them a good squirt  each time I went past. It's fun! If you have kids, give them a bottle each and tell them to knock the bugs of with the jet. Eventually the numbers reduce, and now they hardly come to my tree.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects