Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can pencil pine trees be planted along narrow driveway edge?

Cindy112
Just Starting Out

Can pencil pine trees be planted along narrow driveway edge?

We have an empty garden edge that we are looking to fill with 3 to 4 pencil pine trees because they offer privacy in such a narrow space. However I am concerned about planting trees so close to the driveway as I have read mixed reviews that pencil pine roots are invasive and may destroy the driveway concrete and drain pipes in future. Has anyone with established pencil pine trees experienced invasive roots? Will a root barrier be enough? Is the space sufficient enough for the pencil pines? I would only like the trees to grow at a maximum height of 2 to 3 metres tall. Or if you have a better garden edge suggestion please share. 

20240125_232535.jpg

20240125_232614.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Planting pencil pine along narrow driveway edge?

Hi @Cindy112,

The potential damage from invasive roots is a valid concern. Using a root barrier is a common strategy to prevent root damage, but it's not a guaranteed solution. Your space appears too tight for Pencil Pines, or any other tree for that matter. But, before you make the effort to consider options, I'd recommend you check your home plans to determine if pipes run up next to the drive, as that would rule out planting trees entirely. Also, I presume to the left is the neighbour's property. If so, it would be worth consulting with them as since you have a concrete slab on your side, any roots are likely going to be growing into their side to seek new soil, nutrients, and moisture, as your side will be devoid of them due to the concrete slab.

If you are concerned about damage to the driveway or if there are pipes in the area, you could consider using narrow raised garden beds or troughs to plant within. You won't be able to plant Pencil Pines in them, but with the added height of the raised beds, that could open up other options. Perhaps you could even consider creating a timber framework and adding a wire trellis over them. This would allow you to grow a screening vine across them.

Here's a helpful guide on How to choose a screening plant. Also, you might like to check our Top 10 most popular screening projects for inspiration.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects