Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you paint a plastic pot?

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

Can you paint a plastic pot?

hi , I have bought so many plant pots only to find they are too small once the plant needs repotting. I was wondering if I could paint the bigger plastic pot and not poison the plant in it 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: plant pots

Hello @brendawebster44

If you are painting only the outside of the plastic pot, it should be ok. I suggest using sandpaper on the plastic pots to remove their shiny finish. This will allow the paint to adhere to the body of the plastic pot. I recommend using Rust-Oleum 340g 2X Ultra Cover Paint+Prime Gloss White Spray Paint or your preferred colour to go over the plastic pot. Do not spray the inside of the pot only the outside. 

You can also get specialty Spray Effects that mimick marble, gold, and granite finishes. I recommend going to the spray section of the paint department of your local store and check out all the options available. 

Let me tag our experienced members @prettyliving and @craftyhopper for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi well thanks so much for replying but when I looked through my paint left overs couldn’t believe I found prime and paint left over for inside or outdoor in Magnolia mixed it with some leftover blue from a small pot just a tad and will use that. Never the less I felt better knowing I was ok to do so . Thankyou so much b🌺

Hi @brendawebster44

It's good to know that you've got some leftover paint. Please don't forget to post an update once you finish your project. We look forward to seeing your painted flower pots.

Eric

hi Eric and everyone, I didn’t really have time today to do much of anything. I deliver for people who can’t get out for one reason or another. Anyway a lady in the group suggested painting it with a textured paint. So ran around thinking I have all that except the textured paint. Checked the garage and I had all the correct types of paint except they weren’t textured. Emm! I can’t get anything from Bunnings too late we’ll I will make it myself, and I indeedie I did. Photos tomorrow and I bet no one guesses what I did. When I get a few guesses I ll tell you and see what you think. Necessity is the mother of invention.b🌺

Hi Eric, I certainly will show you my plant pot , I tried two colours but didn’t like them. Then I found some inside outside semi gloss enamel and mixed it with a secret ingredient to make it textured. I want to see if anyone can guess what the secret ingredient is but if I can learn how to send a private message i will tell you. I have one more step to finish it but it is not easy when I have so many things to do as well. I took your advice about the paint on the concrete but just to see if it worked I tried some goof off I bought from Bunnings ages ago and my wire brush (I had a injection into my hip so I could bend down) and it came off so easily then just hosed it down. Thankyou for all your advice and faith in me brenda 

@brendawebster44   Looking forward to seeing the pic and having a guess at what you textured it with!

I can’t wait to show you, I just want to waterproof it tomorrow and it’s all yours. Just remember I can’t always afford to buy what I would like so a good imagination is key, yours b🌺

Well here goes, what is the secret ingredient in the paint 

2B879D9B-AEAC-4E9E-A42C-5CE026ECE7D6.jpeg

A925A80D-ED6D-4DE1-A6EE-38CAACF395D9.jpeg

Excellent work, @brendawebster44! You'll have to let us know your secret ingredient, but I'm also keen to see if our members can guess.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects