Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you paint a plastic pot?

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

Can you paint a plastic pot?

hi , I have bought so many plant pots only to find they are too small once the plant needs repotting. I was wondering if I could paint the bigger plastic pot and not poison the plant in it 

Re: plant pots

hi, thankyou for your feedback, but to be honest I don’t think I will be doing it again hahaha 😝 

This looks fantastic! @brendawebster44 
A job well done that you can be proud of 👍🏻

Thankyou but what is the texture b

Hmm.. oats? 🤔 @brendawebster44 

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

plant pot painting

Hi everyone well it’s time to disclose the secret of the textured paint.. I already have but lost the post. It is Peperini Pasta. I don’t think it was meant for this purpose but it was all I had. You put it in salads etc. for a bit of texture ( bit ironic) I will tell everyone how but most dash b

brendawebster44_0-1633941710860.pngbrendawebster44_1-1633941712329.png

Re: plant pot painting

Hi @brendawebster44

What an interesting technique! I never realized you could use Peperini Pasta as an additive to create textured paint. Unfortunately, part of your post got cut off, I suggest not leaving your post online too long so that the page does not time out. I'm sure our members would be keen to know how you use your secret method of pasta and paint. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: plant pot painting

Hi Eric, lapsing out was Unfortunatly because of one pop down after the other the last pop down cut me off and took me to  it’s website.Sounds like I’ve been kidnapped eh!. I apologise to everyone I had the exterior enamel full gloss magnolia that was meant for the doors water based and thought it would nice blue. So I mixed a tad of blue from a sample pot and it looked revolting. So I decided Magnolia would at least not put you off your dinner. Now how to make it textured. I remembered a chap called Eric the wise who said sand back well before use to give the paint something to grab.So that was completed first . Then what to use?Well I put a grain of rice in my car key to lock or unlock the doors but I felt a bit Mediterranean so pasta it was. So I mixed it in and literally slapped it on with the help of next doors kids.The paint that landed on the garage floor was no problem as I pay attention to the words of Eric the wise. This was repeated the next day and left  to dry completely. I couldn’t leave it longer it was full of seedlings some with strange white marks on the leaves.When dry I covered the seedlings with gladwrap and gave the pot a good spray ofMonocel  exterior clear varnish Satin  I had used on my chair from Bunnings.And there you have it. The moral of this novel is don’t buy more seedlings than pots to put them in. All the best to everyone still awake brenda and Charlie 

Thankyou Mitchel, it was fun and a lesson for me to wait for the recommended  time. b🌺

What to use if you are out of pots

I went to Bunnings and after walking around for a few hours( with Charlie in the cart (he loves Bunnings too). I bought a selection of herbs only to get home and find I had no pots. No problem I checked the garage and found a pot of red mixed it with pasta and bobs your uncle.b🌺

6AD98D2C-6132-4056-8650-E613686FFF76.jpeg

Moragajagga
Growing in Experience

Hi EricL

Can you tell me if it is plant-safe to paint/spray inside pot (at least a few cm's down to where potting mix would come to)?

Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects