Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Connect garden tap to washing machine

laura2989
Cultivating a Following

Connect garden tap to washing machine

Hi, so I live in a small apartment with zero space for a washing machine, but tbh going to the laundromat is not working out, I hate it there.. So I want to get a washing machine and put it in my garage.

There is a tap located just outside the garage door I could use, but I just want to know if this is going to work out before I spend 2k on a washer/dryer.

The tap is a standard garden tap so I presume a hose will attach to it, idk, I have never gardened here as there is a lack of a garden to bother with. I put pics of said tap.

If this will work, I am wondering what other things I will be needing, like adaptors and such, I tried to look for youtube tutorials but I don't feel confident that I understood what they meant.

And is it okay to just have a cold water connection and leave the hot unconnected or will it not work? And when I'm not using the machine can I just disconnect the hose from the tap, as the tap is for other people too so I can't have it connected all the time.

Thanks for the help.IMG_20210509_182115_HDR.jpgIMG_20210509_182122_HDR.jpg

laura2989
Cultivating a Following

Re: Connect garden tap to washing machine

IMG_20210528_165011_HDR.jpgIMG_20210528_164954_HDR.jpgIMG_20210528_164939_HDR.jpgIMG_20210528_165025_HDR.jpgIMG_20210526_121501_HDR.jpgIMG_20210528_165118_HDR.jpgOkay I did it! And I have done a load of washing/drying and it turned out okay, but I had to make some changes today.

Initially I had the appliances too far away from the hole in the wall for the drain hose. It seemed to struggle a bit, and then the hole was too small for the drain hose so when I pulled it through it got damaged and was a bit leaky, it was also too flimsy to hold itself over the drain properly when it drained. But those were yesterdays problems.

This arvo, I moved them right next to the drain hole, but I have no drill, and lockdown means no Bunnings for me, 

so I just spent around 4 hours making the hole bigger, this involved wetting the bricks a lot, and then using a flathead screwdriver and a mallet thing to smash into it, it was very slow going but I got there in the end and managed to squeeze the hose through with no damage, so it shouldn't leak anymore. I got that white cover thing to hold it in place over the drain so hopefully all the water goes in there now, I will cable tie them together once I get some ties.

The tap, hose fittings and sprinkler adapter all worked as you suggested and that was no trouble to connect to the machine, as you can see, I have the hose just poking out of the wall so I can pull it up and connect it when needed, easy.

And in other news, the landlord was here yesterday to deal with some faulty electricity stuff and I asked if it would be okay for me to do this and he okay'd it as long as all the water goes down the drain, so I wont even get in trouble, yay.

I'm happy to not have to go to the laundromat ever again, and I would like to say thankyou to everyone who gave me advice, particularly @redracer01 

:smile:

Thanks for showing us the outcome. It's good to see how problems are actually solved. It often takes a bit of tweaking to get it all flowing, as you've done, literally in this case. 

Hello @laura2989 

I'm so glad you got it to work. Now you will have peace of mind that you no longer have to go to the public laundry. Just a reminder to always check your fittings for tightness and firmness whenever you use it. If there is anything else we can help you with or you have other questions please post it here on workshop. 

Cheers! 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Awesome work @laura2989! I'm really pleased that this has all worked out for you.

Many thanks for updating us on successfully completing the project. Please remember we are always here to help with any of your projects around the house and garden, so reach out anytime you need assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects