Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Front yard makeover

vinodkkt
Getting Established

Front yard makeover

Hello Friends

we just moved in to our first home 6 months before. During the lock down, i did bit of DIY to make my backyard look better and super proud as it is my first DIY project :).

Now i am keen on Front yard make over - Before the Spring i want to landscape so that i can start the planting in Spring.

on the right side i have already laid some turf (left over from backyard project) which i will spread near to the boundary. On the left i am planning to plant some hedge plants (Lilly pilly as a 1.2m hedge). I need some advice on area where the river rocks are there and the pathway to entrance. How to make it look better ? As there is no sunlight in this area during winter i cannot do Lawn there. I am thinking of stones and mulch with some plants. I am not liking the bush grass. Need advice on my Front yard . TIA :)Need advice on my Front yard . TIA :smile:DIY at the Side yardDIY at the Side yard

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: front yard make over

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @vinodkkt. Many thanks for your questions, I'd be happy to kick-off the discussion.

It's fantastic to have you join us and you've done an amazing job of making your backyard look great. You might be interested in checking out our Top 10 most popular garden makeovers10 great alternatives to a lawn and How to plan and landscape a garden makeover. The talented @Adam_W has also put together a helpful guide on How to give your garden a makeover which I trust you'll find useful.

Personally, I think you should take advantage of the slope, remove the path and build some terracing with modular decking to the door. The perfect product would be Good times modular decking solutions and here is a helpful step-by-step D.I.Y. article on How to Install modular decking. Terracing draws attention and creates interest by adding movement in the landscape. 

Let me mention @Brad and @ProjectPete to see if they would like to join the discussion. @Tara86 might also like to provide some ideas as she has just recently transformed her own front yard.

We look forward to seeing your project progress and can't wait to see what you'll do with the area.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

What a difference you made to you backyard @vinodkkt - nice one!

I'm a fan of waterwise plants such as succulents and cacti. Besides being easier/cheaper to care for, they give a real point of difference for your home.

It'd be great to see some panelling/cladding on the front there, particularly around your entry. And some nice bold colours.

Straightcruve garden edging is always a nice touch IMO, especially when you pair the weathered corten steel with the right colours/plants. In addition to looking good, it's quite an easy way of creating different levels.

Decking leading up to your entry from the path would be a beautiful touch too 😀

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Thanks Mitchell. I will definitely save some money for decking.

Cheers

Thanks @ProjectPete  for your inputs. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

@vinodkkt  Wow!!! What an amazing job you’ve done. It’s not only pleasing to look at but you’ve created a new area that has many possible uses. 
Mitchell and Pete have offered great suggestions.  The slope allows you the option of having nice steps leading to the house. Possibly put small retaining walls in to elevate the front area, around the stairs. You can add turf, small hedges or some nice plants. New mailbox to add as a feature. 

Great job! Can’t wait to see how it turns out.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects