Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Garden containers

JesK
Just Starting Out

Garden containers

Hi All,

I am in the process of preparing my spring garden and have been shopping at bunnings (which i love doing), I have been looking at the garden/seedling area from a sustainability angle- there are so many plastic containers being used! My question is : what can be done to change this absurd amount of plastic being used every year when people are buying new seedlings or herbs? 

Some ideas I have thought of are:

1. Have a re-use scheme where people can bring back used containers and get a small discount

2. Would Bunnings be willing to look at a sustainable/compostable container

Of course growing using seeds is a more eco-friendly option but people will still be buying and using the seedling options

Please share your ideas :smile: 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garden containers

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JesK.

Many thanks for your suggestions about minimising the use of black plastic pots within Bunnings stores. Reducing operational and packaging waste is a priority for our business and we are committed to the goal of fully sustainable packaging by 2025. I have passed on your feedback to our sustainability team.

Please feel free to let us know if you ever need assistance with the projects around your home or garden or have some that you'd like to share with the community.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
raymondo
Building a Reputation

Re: Garden containers

Hi Jesk...

I like to think that everything we use can have a second life in some manner. My understanding is that the hard plastic pots are recyclable already and are acceptable in the shire recycling bins. But as you say, it's those flexible seedling pots that are a concern. I also would like to see a more sustainable container used by seedling growers. There are already better products, but I guess it always gets down to cost. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects