Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Garden potting bench

Wayne
Becoming a Leader

Garden potting bench

Potting Bench 8.jpg

The Easter Weekend project, a Garden Potting bench with old Sink (made for a family friend)
So I started with the sink that the friend had dropped off to me then worked out the overall size from there, no plans as such just a mental vision and the criteria of having the sink and a bottom shelf.
Torn between going out and buying perma pine timber for the frame or try and use timber that I had on hand, with a limited budget to work with I went for the latter.
The frame was old weathered Jarrah fence rails that were not uniform size and had twists and bows, I set about trimming them up on the table saw and ended up with an oddball dimension of 56mm x 32mm, it took ages and placed my table saw under considerable stress but finally I managed to get about 12 varying lengths to be matching dimension.
Potting Bench 1.jpg
I had on hand some Veneered MDF 30mm sheet and whilst not ideal for an outdoor project I figured with some hardwood edging and lacquer finish it would last a few years. So I cut the Benchtop big enough to accomodate the sink then applied some edging which is glued and nailed. That gave me the size for the bench framework.
Potting Bench 2.jpg

Potting Bench 3.jpg
I used Dowels and glue to join the framework, but also 100mm allen head screws for the side rails.
Potting Bench 9.jpg

Potting Bench 10.jpg
The assembled the frame skeleton, you can see how the saw struggled with all the burn marks on the timber.
Potting Bench 5.jpg
I screwed a couple of cleats along the inside of the rails so that the slat ends would be concealed by the side rails, then brad nailed all of the slats to make the bottom shelf.
Potting Bench 6.jpg
Then screwed down the benchtop.
Potting Bench 7.jpg
I routed the hardwood edge flush with the frame on front and sides but it chewed out a big chunk on one end so I glued some aluminium angle to the ends.
I really didn't know what to do with the back, possibly a lattice panel but that can be added later if required, the budget had been well blown by this stage.
So a couple of steel brackets and two Oregon planks make up the top shelf, I am sure it will look better when a few pots and other things are on the shelves.
Potting Bench 8.jpg
So apart from watching a bit of footy on the TV and having a couple of easter eggs that was my Easter weekend.

Wood Working with Wayne
Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Garden Potting Bench

Looks great @Wayne

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects