Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Growing flat green beans

gore
Building a Reputation

Growing flat green beans

6C2EE73A-F85D-4FF1-AD29-A03A4BDABCB7.jpeg

F2EE7A91-B9F5-4546-92D8-0755EC768323.jpeg

6A9CA4C9-D80E-49FC-A727-755CD3D595BD.jpeg

B05E40DF-DC42-43FF-865C-EA9E55F05BDC.jpeg

uvray
Finding My Feet

Re: flat green beans

Hi, do Bunnings have these seeds? I’m from South Africa and we call this serm…it’s delicious

gore
Building a Reputation

Hi! @uvray 

Tate simi, hiude simi, sword beans.

They are also recognized by dolichos bean, hyacinth bean, seim bean (India), Egyptian bean, bonavist bean/pea, dolico lablab, fagiolo indiano, etc.

Binomial name Lablab purpureus.  

Alternate Scientific Names – Dolichos benghalensis Jacq., Dolichos lablab L., Dolichos purpureus L., Lablab niger Medikus, Lablab purpurea (L.) Sweet, Lablab vulgaris (L.) Savi, Vigna aristata Piper.

i try to search but exactly same i didn't found it in bunnings.

thx.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @uvray. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about beans.

It's great to see that @gore has provided helpful information.  I've had a look through our supplier's extended range and can't find them. The closest appears to be Scarlet Runner.

Let me mention one of our experienced horticulturalists, @Noelle, to see if she's seen this variety around.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you. It’s also called hyacinth bean, if that helps. 

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @uvray @gore and @MitchellMc 

This species orf dolichos is not on the Australian weeds lists but other dolichos are.

Seeds of lablab can be found online at Ole Lantana's Seed Store https://www.olelantanaseeds.com.au/product/dolichos-lablab-hyacinth-lablab-indian-bean-x-10/

This business is based in Toowoomba (Qld)  I have no personal knowledge of either the bean nor the company selling it - do your homework!

Thank you. I’ll check it out and post an update. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects