Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help protect my veggie garden from grasshoppers

Jeano
Just Starting Out

Help protect my veggie garden from grasshoppers

I’m just starting off with my first veggie and herb garden and I had these little tiny grasshoppers eat my veggies.

My sister put a netting over them we didn’t think we had little grasshoppers.  So I’ve been looking for what to buy or make so I can protect my garden. I’ve got a standing bed and 2 tin garden beds in the garden.  So if someone can help a newbie out please.🥬🍅🥒🦗🐌 

Thank you everyone.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help protect my veggie garden from grasshoppers

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jeano. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

I'm sorry to hear that grasshoppers have been munching away on your vegetables. It's always disappointing to see the damage they can cause after all the hard work you've put in.

I'm not aware of a product that will kill grasshoppers suitable for use on edibles. 

As a natural solution, you can blend up some cayenne pepper, garlic, and onion. Add water to this mix until it becomes sprayable and apply it all over your veggies. Grasshoppers are not very fond of these ingredients, and they will deter them from eating your vegetables. You can also try planting flowers like Lilac, Forsythia, and Crepe Myrtle, which deter grasshoppers.

Let me mention our resident experts @Noelle, @mich1972 and @Adam_W to see if they have had some success battling grasshoppers in their own gardens.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Help protect my veggie garden from grasshoppers

Hi @Jeano 

A crop cage using fine anti-bird netting (less than 5mm mesh) will help protect your vegies from grasshoppers and other large pests.  It needs to be secured so they can't get through any gaps.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects