Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I build a Besser block wall that has a slope involved?

UncleAz
Growing in Experience

How do I build a Besser block wall that has a slope involved?

Hi All,

I just finished building a bit of a deck and stairs at the front of my house and want to finish off he area.  I am looking to build a retaining wall with Besser block but am a little nervous with the slope that is involved.  The  first image below is my house and the second is an example of what I am trying to achieve. I  understand the concept but the question is around how to work on the slope.  Any ideas or other project on here would be greatly appreciated.

UncleAz_0-1632205871163.jpeg

IMG_5179.PNG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I build a Besser block wall that has a slope involved?

Hello @UncleAz

Thank you for sharing your Besser Block wall project. In order for the Besser Block to be on the same horizontal level as the deck stairs that you've built, the soil has to be level and compact. If you were to build your Besser Block wall now on the existing slope your wall would have a diagonal tilt. However, if you were to cut into the soil and level it horizontally you can then build the wall at the same level as your stairs. It sounds like a very interesting project, any updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

Let me tag our experienced members @TedBear and @Adam_W for their recommendations. 

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
UncleAz
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the information @EricL.. That was what I was thinking also.  I am thinking that I would need to dig down to the same level as the footpath and lay some foundation work there and then build it up using string lines etc.  Is that what you much suggest?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @UncleAz

Putting string guides while you cut into the slope is an excellent idea. I've placed a drawing below to illustrate my recommendation of how the guides could be placed. Will you be putting LED Strip Lights lights in your steps? I can already see how good your steps will look once you have your block wall planter in place. Will you be putting in some 140mm Bottlebrush Little John - Callistemon viminalis to line your planter?

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your Besser block wall planter built.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects